Migrate your devices from Citrix Endpoint Management to Hexnode UEM
With a rapid rise in the never-ending technological advancements, the needs of your organization may continuously change. There’s a good chance that your current device management solution may fail to satisfy your growing business needs. In that case, the best thing you can do is switch your Mobile Device Management (MDM) vendor.
There are plenty of reasons why organizations migrate from one MDM to another. Overpriced plans, in-efficient support, complicated steps, and cloggy UI are major reasons why enterprises think of migration.
Why Hexnode UEM?
If your current MDM does not meet your business goals or technical requirements, it is always better to migrate to a more flexible and robust solution. Hexnode UEM, the award-winning UEM solution, helps you cover every feature for comprehensive device management.
Here’s a list of Hexnode features that you’ve been missing out on your current vendor:
- Unified management of devices: Hexnode manages all your endpoints from a single centralized console. It employs a holistic approach to manage all endpoints and apps across the organization.
- Multiple OS support: Hexnode extends its management capabilities to support almost all major platforms such as Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, Fire OS, and Apple TVs.
- Security: Hexnode secures your digital workspace without compromising the user experience. It includes a multitude of security features on apps, networks, and devices.
- Zero learning curve: Hexnode is designed to minimize complex configuration steps, and thus, it has a gentle learning curve. Here, IT administrators do not require additional training to start managing endpoints.
- Seamless on-boarding of devices: Hexnode UEM solution lets you on-board your devices with a wide variety of enrollment options ranging from zero-touch to minimal touch methods. It also lets you configure device settings prior to enrollment to make the devices ready for use right out of the box. In addition, Hexnode employs a top-of-the-line support team to readily fix and attend customer requests.
- Flexible pricing plans: Here at Hexnode, we offer a wide range of pricing plans that are specially designed to meet all your corporate requirements.
This migration guide will help you cover all the necessary steps to migrate from Citrix Endpoint Management to Hexnode UEM seamlessly.
Key points for a successful migration
Before starting the migration process, here are some tips that will help you to migrate from Citrix Endpoint Management to Hexnode UEM successfully.
- MDM Migration Checklist: Follow the steps mentioned in the migration checklist to accomplish a successful migration. The checklist provides a list of tasks you must follow during the migration phases.
- Clear communication to end-users: Inform your end-users about the transition clearly and provide details to the exact steps (device wipe, initial setup assistant, etc.), which they are expected to perform. Empower your users to take part in the enrollment process and make them feel that they have more acceptance of management.
- Test migration processes using a few devices from all platforms: Start your migration by testing with a few sample devices from all platforms to optimize the migration processes and to check for any configuration errors. This will also help you to validate your migration plan.
We recommend migrating devices in an incrementing pattern. That is, in groups such that the next group has more devices than the last. This helps to identify and rectify the issues associated with a smaller number of devices than the entire set.
- Sign up for a free trial in Hexnode UEM: Test the product for 14 days by signing up for a free trial to explore the rich features and functionalities in Hexnode UEM. This will help you understand the product better and makes migration processes fast and expedient.
The entire migration processes can be grouped into three stages:
- Pre-Migration Phase
- Migration Phase
- Post-Migration Phase
The pre-migration phase includes all the activities you must perform prior to the migration phase. The below list explains all the pre-migration events and activities:
- Assess MDM requirements of your enterprise: After all, the ultimate point of breaking away from your previous MDM vendor is to manage your organization’s needs more efficiently. Hence, the primary concern must be about what the organization needs from an MDM solution. Make sure that the features that were lacking from your previous vendor are present on your new MDM provider.
Evaluate your previous MDM solution based on the areas that need improvement, as well as the features that need to be carried over to the new MDM. Prepare for the transition only after deciding various criteria such as the OS platforms, device types, device choice – personal or corporate, and so on.
- Identify the use-case of the organization: While preparing for the transition, check that the new MDM service will meet and satisfy the use-case of the organization. Ensure that the MDM platform you are planning to migrate can support your firm’s requirement growth in the near future. Decide all the configurations and features which you are going to use with the new MDM based on the use-case of your organization.
- Create a list of users: Prepare a list of all users that must be added to the new MDM solution. Export the user data from the previous MDM provider’s user database, if possible. Identify specific users who require special privileges like admin and technicians.
- Create a logical timeline: The first step before heading to the migration phase is to create an effective timeline. Choose a time period that is best suited for migration. It will be ideal to choose a time period in which your devices are out of use so that the IT team will have enough time for the transition without impacting users.
Study the entire migration process and prepare an achievable schedule that includes important milestones, expenses, and many other implementation factors. Divide the entire migration process into different segments, targeting from a small group of devices to a higher number within various periods. This will optimize the process and helps to validate the migration plan.
- Effective Communication: It’s highly important to inform and educate your end-users about the migration processes. Describe the steps which your users must execute, which should include the details on whether the device will be wiped or not, whether the users are required to wipe and re-enroll the devices manually, and so on. Empower your users by providing thorough training sessions and in-depth help articles to carry out the steps seamlessly.
- Backup data to cloud services: Store sensitive data to cloud services before migration so that any data, if lost after migration, can be retrieved. Some examples of cloud services include:
- Google Drive
- Prepare devices for migration: After completing the events mentioned above, check your device for activation lock and factory reset protection. Back up your data to keep it safe if in case your device gets wiped. Make your devices ready for the transition. Help regarding device wipe and disenrollment from your previous vendor are explained in the next phase – Migration Phase.
The migration phase includes all the actions that the organization must carry out to migrate from one MDM to another. Make sure that you are right on the migration timeline and have completed all the pre-migration steps before entering the migration phase.
The first thing to do while planning the migration is to check out new MDMs. Here at Hexnode, we provide a 14-day trial period with the highest subscription plan, so that you explore all the features and make sure everything you need is provided by us. If not, contact us directly and request new features that you find essential to meet your requirements.
Since you have access to the Hexnode portal, identify which pricing plan that you will be choosing when the trial period ends. Hexnode offers programs that are scaled across various price ranges. Refer to the pricing page if you are facing any difficulty in tracking down the features.
Steps to be followed in the migration phase:
Create technicians in Hexnode. They have at most privileges’ and are responsible for managing users. The number of technicians that you can add in Hexnode varies with your subscribed plan.
You should now migrate the tokens from the previous MDM vendor to Hexnode. This includes Wi-Fi profiles (for enrollment via Apple Configurator), security certificates (certificates for Android, iOS, and macOS devices), apps, identity/user authentication certificates (VPN and Wi-Fi), and configuration profiles (DEP). And set up APNs, DEP, and VPP certificates/tokens in Hexnode.
To sync your DEP account with Hexnode, create a new MDM server for Hexnode in your DEP portal and transfer devices from the previous MDM server to the newly created one.
To transfer devices from the previous MDM to the Hexnode Server,
- Log in to your DEP portal.
- Go to Settings, select the old MDM server and Download the devices list.
- Go to Device Assignments and change the Choose Devices option to Upload CSV file.
- Upload the downloaded device list and choose the Action as Assign to server.
- Select the newly created server for Hexnode UEM as the MDM Server and click Done.
To migrate VPP token to Hexnode, clear the available VPP token on your Citrix Endpoint Management console and sync the VPP account with Hexnode.
This phase includes all checks and surveys to be carried out to ensure that all devices are migrated from your previous vendor to Hexnode UEM successfully.
- Device Inventory checks: Export the details of all devices enrolled in Hexnode UEM from the Reports tab. Compare this list with the exported legacy MDM provider’s device database. This will help to find out all the devices which are still not enrolled in Hexnode UEM.
- Restoring back-up data: For Apple devices, you can restore saved data by logging into your devices using your iCloud or Managed Apple ID. Cloud-hosted data can also be retrieved from cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. This will ensure no data loss after the migration process.
- Unsubscribing the services of old MDM: Decommission the services of your previous MDM provider.
- Surveys and feedback on new MDM: Collect users’ feedback to identify any issues or new requirements in your new MDM solution. Conduct surveys regularly to analyze the user experience so that training sessions can be arranged, if needed, for new areas and use cases.
- Troubleshooting/Support plan to assist with migration: Equip yourself with the world-class support team from Hexnode UEM to assist you in issues regarding migration. Clear your queries by referring to the published FAQs and other how-to articles to mitigate troubleshooting issues.