Create shortcuts for PDF files and add it in Android kiosk mode
Hexnode UEM provides the admin with the option to create shortcuts for PDF files and add the files in kiosk mode on Android devices. Users can open the PDF files in kiosk using any of the whitelisted PDF readers or with the default Hexnode Document Reader.
Create Shortcut for PDF file
To create shortcuts for PDF files that is already present in the target device,
- Go to Content > Kiosk File Shortcuts > Documents.
- Click on Add a File.
- Fill in the details.
- File type: Choose the type of shortcut as PDF.
- Display name: Provide a suitable name to be displayed for the PDF shortcut on the device.
- Choose file source: You can choose the files from any one of the following sources:
- Select file: Choose the file uploaded under Content > My Files.
- After filling all the fields, click on Create.
The created PDF shortcut will appear under the list.
Add the file shortcut in Android kiosk
PDF shortcut file can be added either in Single App Kiosk mode or Multi App Kiosk mode. You can also set the PDF shortcut to auto launch and run in the foreground all the time as the default kiosk app according to the auto-launch delay set in the policy.
Add the shortcut in a single app mode
- Go to Policies > New Policy > Name the Policy.
- Click on Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown > Single App > Configure.
- Move the mouse pointer towards the + icon and click on Select file shortcut.
- Select the required PDF shortcut file from the list > Done.
A shortcut file added in Android single app kiosk mode will look like this:
Add the shortcut in multi app mode
- Go to “Policies” > New Policy > Name the Policy.
- Click on Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown > Multi App > Configure.
- Move the mouse pointer towards the + icon and click on Add file shortcut.
- Check the required PDF shortcut from the list > Done.
- Add other apps that you wish to set in Multi App Kiosk mode.
Shortcut files in multi app kiosk mode will look like this:
Configure auto launch settings for the file shortcut
- If the PDF shortcut is added in Single App Kiosk, then it will auto launch by default with a default delay of 0 sec. To change this, navigate to “Policies” > Kiosk lockdown > Android kiosk lockdown > Launcher > Auto-launch > set the App auto-launch delay to more than 0 seconds.
- For PDF shortcuts added in multi app kiosk mode, you can set the auto-launch delay under Policies > Kiosk lockdown > Android kiosk lockdown > Launcher > Auto-launch. Add the PDF shortcut and set the auto-launch delay. By default, it will be 30 seconds.
Associate Policies with Devices/Groups
If the policy has not yet been saved,
- Navigate to Policy Targets.
- Click on +Add Devices.
- Select the devices and click OK.
- Click on Save to apply the policies to devices.
Apart from devices, you can also associate the policies with device groups, user and user groups from Policy Targets.
If the policy has been saved, you can associate it by another method,
- From “Policies”, check the policies to be associated.
- Click on Manage → Associate Targets and select the device.
- Click on Associate to apply the policy to the devices.