How to update store apps and enterprise apps on iOS devices?
Most apps get updates that improve their UI, fix bugs, incorporate new features to enhance user experience. However, employees of an organization might not update the apps that they use. Sometimes, an organization might want to refrain from updating some apps. Hexnode lets the admin in an organization have complete control over the installation and management of apps. With Hexnode UEM, you can update store apps and in-house apps across all your iOS devices when deemed necessary.
Update Store apps on iOS devices
You can install an application on iOS devices either through Actions or through a Required Apps policy . Pushing a store app to the device as a required app via policy will cause the app to get updated automatically, provided the policy remains associated with the device. To check for app updates:
- Go to the Apps tab. Click on the app which is to be updated.
- Click on the Settings drop-down (gear icon) on the top-right corner of the app details box. Click on Check for updates.
The app will get updated if an update is available. Otherwise, it will show that no updates are available.
For store apps there is an option to turn on auto-updates on the device.
- Open the Settings app on the device.
- Select App Store and turn on App Updates under Automatic Downloads.
Update enterprise apps on iOS devices
Enterprises develop custom apps that are essential for the proper functioning of organizations. These apps can be securely distributed using Hexnode. Like any other apps, the developer may update these apps too. You can push these updates to the devices in two ways:
Method-1 : Replace the old IPA file with the new one in Hexnode app inventory.
Pushing an enterprise app to the device as a required app via policy will cause the app to get updated automatically, provided the policy remains associated with the device. To update the enterprise app in the portal:
- Go to the Apps tab. Click on the enterprise app which is to be updated.
- Click on the Settings drop-down (gear icon) on the top-right corner of the app details box. Select Edit from the drop-down list.
- Click on the option Change beside the IPA file.
- Upload the new app version. Click Save.
Method-2 : Push the new app version directly to the device.
- Go to Manage tab > Select the device.
- Click on Actions > Choose Install Application action.
- Select the new version from the list > Click Done.