Enterprise apps are private apps developed by an organization to serve a specific purpose within the organization. Since they are designed to be used internally within an organization, such apps are not hosted on Google Play. With Hexnode MDM, enterprise apps can be easily configured on Android Enterprise (Android for Work) enabled devices.
The first step is to add the enterprise app to Hexnode app inventory.
Add Enterprise Apps to App Inventory
The following instructions outline how to add an enterprise app to the app inventory.
- Login to your Hexnode portal and navigate to Apps tab.
- Click on +Add Apps and select Enterprise app from the dropdown list.
- Input the following information:
- Platform: Choose the platform as Android.
- App Name: Provide a suitable name for your app.
- You can upload the enterprise in two ways.
APK file: Upload the APK file from your system.
From Manifest URL: Provide the URL of the location where the app resides.
- Category: Select the category from the dropdown. Click on + and type in the category name if you want to add a new category to the list.
- Description: Give a suitable description for your app.
- Check the option Notify admin via mail once app upload succeeds/fails to notify the admin about the app install status.
- Click Add.
Now, distribute the enterprise apps to devices.
Distribute Enterprise Apps to Devices
Enterprise Apps can be distributed to devices in several ways.
Push app from app inventory to devices
- Navigate to Manage tab > Devices and select the Android devices to which the app is to be distributed.
- Click on Manage > Install Application.
- Select the required application.
- Click on Done.
Push apps using Hexnode MDM Policies
Defining apps as mandatory enables admin to ensure that all the essential apps are compulsorily installed on devices without user intervention. Here’s how you can set apps as mandatory.
- Navigate to Policies and select a New Policy.
- Give a suitable name and description for your policy.
- Navigate to Advanced Restrictions under Android.Enable the option ‘Allow app installation from unknown sources‘.
- Click on Mandatory Apps option from Android>App Management.
- Click on +Add > Add App to select the app you wish to install, from Local Apps. Click Done. Similarly, you can also configure app groups as mandatory. Click on +Add > App Group to select the app groups you wish to set as mandatory. Click Done.
- Navigate to Policy Targets and select +Add Devices to add the devices you wish to associate the policy to.
- Hit Save.
The apps will be installed on selected devices.