How to enroll devices in Android Enterprise using QR code
Android Enterprise (earlier known as Android for Work) is a solution for advanced Android management which makes it easy for businesses to deploy and manage the devices that meet high enterprise requirements. You can enroll devices in Android Enterprise using QR code in both device owner and profile owner mode.
First you should enroll your organization in Android Enterprise program.
Enrollment as Device Owner using QR code
Enrolling devices in the device owner mode will provide complete control of the devices to the organization. Moreover, only the corporate approved apps will be available in the device. Work devices provisioned by the organization is best managed by the device owner mode.
To enroll a device in the device owner mode, remove any personal Gmail account linked with the device and reset the device to factory settings.
For Android 7.0+
- Tap welcome screen 6 times.
- Get the device connected to a network.
- A QR code reader will be installed in your device.
- In your portal, go to Enroll > Platform-Specific > Android > Android Enterprise. You’ll be able to see a QR code in the screen. You can also configure various QR Code settings as shown below:
- Skip encryption: Enable this option to skip device encryption while enrolling the device. This option is enabled by default.
- Enable system applications: Enable this option to allow system applications on the device. This option is also enabled by default.
- Wi-Fi Settings: You can either choose No Wi-Fi network configuration or Add Wi-Fi network configuration to QR Code. If Add Wi-Fi network configuration to QR Code option is chosen, specify the following parameters to add a Wi-Fi configuration to the QR Code:
WiFi Settings Description SSID Specify the identification name of the Wi-Fi network. Security Type There are three options to choose from – None, WEP, WPA/WPA2. The rest of the Wi-Fi network configurations depend on the security type selected. Password Enter the password of the Wi-Fi network if WEP or WPA/WPA2 security type is selected. Connect to hidden network Allow users to connect to a hidden Wi-Fi network, the one whose SSID is not broadcasting. By default, connecting to hidden networks is disabled.
- Scan the QR code present in the screen.
- Tap on Accept & Continue to carry on with the installation process.
- Open Hexnode For Work app and tap on the QR code symbol in the bottom left side of your device screen.
- Scan the QR code which is present in your portal under Enroll > Platform-Specific > Android > QR Code, Email or SMS.
- Enable device administration, usage access, draw over apps, write system settings and notification access and tap Next in your device.
- Enrollment will be successfully completed in device owner mode.
Enrollment as Profile Owner using QR code
Separate spaces will be created for storing your personal apps and corporate apps in profile owner mode. It’s advisable to use profile owner mode for personal devices as you’ll be having access to both personal and work apps. Work apps will be indicated with a work badge.
- The QR code can be send as enrollment request via mail or be accessed from your portal under Enroll > Platform-Specific > Android > QR Code, Email or SMS.
- Open Hexnode For Work app and tap on the QR code symbol to scan the QR code.
- Agree to the End-User License Agreement to continue further.
- Tap Continue to take you to the work profile setup screen.
- Stick with the on-screen instructions to start setting up the work profile.
- App may minimize during the process and relaunch in few seconds.
- The enrollment of the device is initiated once the app is relaunched.
- When the work profile creation is completed, an additional Hexnode For Work app will be present with a badge.
- Open the Hexnode For Work app without the badge and tap Continue to uninstall the app.