How to migrate Apple TV from another MDM to Hexnode?
Migrating your devices from one MDM to another MDM is a cumbersome process. While switching the MDM, you need to have proper planning and implementation strategies for a smooth migration to occur. This guide will assist you in the migration of your Apple TV from another MDM to Hexnode.
Follow the below steps to successfully migrate Apple TV’s from another MDM to Hexnode:
- Remove assets from current MDM and back up required data.
- Create DEP account (if your organization doesn’t have one).
- Migrate certificates and tokens to Hexnode UEM.
- Sync users from directory services to Hexnode UEM.
- Disenroll devices from current MDM.
- Enroll devices into Hexnode UEM.
Step-1: Remove assets from current MDM and back up required data
Prior to removing assets from the current MDM, determine what all data needs to be retained. If the current MDM supports exporting device/user details, export the required data as it may be required while enrolling in Hexnode UEM.
You may have to wipe your devices prior to enrollment. Ensure that the required data is stored to your preferred cloud services. Delete DEP account configured in the current MDM.
Step-2: Create DEP account
If your organization is not enrolled in Apple Business Manager, go to https://business.apple.com/ and sign up for your organization. The Device Enrollment Program is now seamlessly integrated into Apple Business Manager.
Step-3: Migrate certificates and tokens to Hexnode UEM
Create a new Apple Push Notification service certificate and add it to your Hexnode UEM portal. APNs certificate is required for the Apple devices to communicate with MDM. So, this is a mandatory step.
- Download the self-signed certificate from the Hexnode UEM portal.
- Go to Apple Push Certificates Portal, upload the self-signed certificate and download the APNs certificate generated by Apple.
- Upload the APNs certificate back to the Hexnode UEM portal.
- If your organization is already using DEP with the current MDM, you can continue using the services with Hexnode UEM. Move DEP token to Hexnode UEM. Your DEP token is a record of your organization’s devices.
DEP server token
In your DEP portal, create a new MDM server for Hexnode and move all the devices from the previous MDM server to the newly created Hexnode UEM server.
- Create a new MDM server in Apple Business Manager using the public key downloaded from your Hexnode UEM portal.
- Get the server token and upload it to your Hexnode portal to link Hexnode and DEP.
- Create a DEP profile in Hexnode which needs to be applied during the DEP configuration.
- Assign your DEP devices to the Hexnode UEM server.
Step-4: Sync users from directory services to Hexnode UEM
You can sync the users from various directory services such as Active Directory (AD), Microsoft Entra ID and Google Workspace (G Suite) to the MDM console.
Unbind your current MDM vendor from the directory services and configure Hexnode UEM with them.
- Active Directory
- Configure Active Directory settings under Admin tab to get the users synced from the AD account to the Hexnode portal.
- Microsoft Entra ID
- Configure Microsoft Entra ID under Admin tab to get the users synced from the Microsoft Entra ID account to the Hexnode portal.
- Google Workspace (G Suite)
- Configure Google Workspace (G Suite) under Admin tab to get the users and user groups synced from the Google Workspace (G Suite) account to the Hexnode portal.
Step-5: Disenroll devices from current MDM
Disenroll all your devices from your current MDM. It can be done in two ways:
- Perform a disenroll action from the previous MDM console.
- Manually remove the MDM profile from the devices. This can’t be done if MDM profile removal is prevented.
Step-6: Enroll devices into Hexnode UEM
Apple TV’s can be enrolled in Hexnode UEM using different methods. Choose the one that best suits your organization’s requirements.
Automatic enrollment via Apple DEP
Use DEP enrollment for eligible devices. If you haven’t assigned devices to the Hexnode UEM server you have created, assign them by providing the serial number, order number or uploading a CSV file containing the serial numbers of all devices. Devices will automatically enroll upon their initial set up.
Apple Configurator enrollment
Use Apple Configurator 2 to enroll tvOS devices to Hexnode UEM. When you boot up the device, the MDM enrollment configuration will get automatically deployed to the device.