Hexnode MDM has introduced an efficient solution named ‘Mobile Data Management’ to track and manage mobile data usage across Android devices. It enables administrators to remotely monitor and limit mobile data usage on devices. With Mobile Data Management enabled on devices, admin can separately view the Mobile Data, Wi-Fi data and total data usage of individual devices as well as the data consumption details of respective applications installed on devices. Hexnode MDM can be configured to set alert notifications to users via email when the mobile data usage crosses the set limit.
In this way, admin can identify apps with high mobile data consumption rates, keep track of data usage of individual devices as well as prevent an organization’s carrier bills from racking up.
Data Restriction Settings on Android
To initiate mobile data management on your Android devices, you first need to enable some data restriction settings on your Hexnode MDM console.
To enable the data restriction settings:
- Go to Admin > General Settings.
- Under Data Restriction (Android), enable the below options:
- Prompt to activate VPN– By enabling this option, the admin would receive a prompt to activate VPN during Android device enrollment or after the Hexnode app updates to the supported version. Activating VPN configurations allows Hexnode to monitor network traffic for efficient Mobile Data Management.
- Prompt to activate VPN while in kiosk– Enabling this option provides a prompt to activate VPN when the device enters kiosk mode for mobile data management. This functionality is only supported on devices running Hexnode MDM app version 10.6.0 and Hexnode for Work app version 6.4.0.
Configuring Mobile Data Management via Policy
First, let’s find out how to set data usage limits for devices.
- From your Hexnode MDM console, navigate to Policies.
- Create a new policy by assigning suitable name and description to it or continue with an existing one.
- Under Android, choose Mobile Data Management.
Setting up Data Usage Restrictions
Hexnode MDM enforces the following data usage restrictions on devices as and per the user’s requirement:
Restriction Description Enable data usage tracking Enable this option to track data usage on devices.
Enable network & data usage restrictions Unchecking this option disables the previously set network/data usage restriction on the device. Network restrictions Restrict the apps on the device (except Hexnode MDM app) from using Wi- Fi data and/or mobile data.
You can choose from any of the following restriction,
- No restrictions.
- Blocks Wi-Fi data.
- Block mobile data.
- Block all network connections.
Data Usage Notifications Selectively notify the users and/or admin via email when the Wi-Fi data and/or mobile data exceeds a set limit. Data Usage Restrictions Restrict and notify the users and/or admin when the device exceeds the allowed data limit. Reset Data Tracking Set appropriate time limit or duration to reset data tracking (daily and monthly).
Setting up App-wise Restrictions
Mobile data management can be applied to specific applications based on the amount of data utilized by them. Follow the steps below to enforce data management on specific applications:
- Go to Policies. Create a new policy with a unique name and description or continue with an existing one.
- Under Android, choose Mobile Data Management > App-wise Restrictions.
- Click on +Add App and choose as many apps you wish to restrict data usage on.
- Click Next.
- Selectively apply Network restrictions, Data usage notifications, and Data usage restrictions.
- Click Done.
Associate Data Management Policy to Devices
Once you have set up data usage limits, the next step is to associate your policy to target devices.
Associate Policy to devices right away
- Navigate to Policy Targets and click on +Add devices to select the devices to which the policy is to be associated. Similarly, you can associate the policy to device groups, users, user groups and even Domains.
- Click on Save to associate the policy, silently on selected targets.
Associate policy to devices at a later stage
- Go to Policies and select the Mobile Data Management policy previously created.
- Click Manage and select Associate Targets. You can associate your policy to devices, device groups, users, user groups and even domains.
- Click on Save to deploy the policy, silently on selected targets.