AirPlay security settings prevent unauthorized streaming to Apple TV via AirPlay, either by setting up an AirPlay password or by restricting devices in a different network to connect to the TV. AirPlay security settings can be configured on an Apple TV running tvOS 11 or later.
To set up AirPlay security,
- Access Policies tab.
- Create a new policy by clicking on the New Policy button or continue with an existing policy.
- From tvOS Settings, select AirPlay Security.
Have a look at the AirPlay security features available.
- Access type: Select the mode by which an iOS device can be connected to an Apple TV via AirPlay. The available options are Any (default) and WiFi only.
- Any: Allow connection between Apple TV and iOS device on different networks.
- WiFi only: Allow connection between iOS and Apple TV which are on the same network (same WiFi or Ethernet).
- Security type: Choose how secure the connection needs to be. The available values are None (available only if the access type is ‘WiFi only’), Passcode once (default), Passcode always and Password.
- None: No AirPlay security is set up.
- Passcode once: While creating a connection between an Apple TV and an iOS device, a passcode is displayed on the TV screen. Enter this passcode on the iOS device to start streaming. The passcode is not required if you make a second connection between the same set of devices.
- Passcode always: A passcode is displayed on the TV screen every time you try to stream content via AirPlay. Enter this password on the iOS device to start streaming.
- Password: Set up an AirPlay password which is required while a connection between an iOS device and an Apple TV is made.
- Password (if Security type is selected ‘Password’) – Create a password for AirPlay. When a connection is made, the device which is connected to the Apple TV will prompt for a password. Enter the password there to start streaming.
Associating AirPlay Security with Apple TV
If you are still setting up the policy, before saving,
- Go to Policy Targets tab.
- Click on + Add Devices.
- Select devices from the list. You can also search for a specific device.
- Click OK.
If you want to add more devices, clicking on + Add Devices again will help you, retaining any devices selected before. Policies can be associated with device groups, users and user groups from the same screen.
If you have finished setting up and saved the policy,
- From Policies, check the policies which need to be applied.
- Select Associate Targets from Manage.