Using MDM to configure Wi-Fi in corporate devices is an effortless procedure because it is done over the air. The process of configuring additional WiFi on a device is the same as configuring a new Wi-Fi.
- Go to Policies tab and click on New Policy
- Provide a name to the policy and select the OS platform (iOS, Android, Windows) of the device you want to configure the Wi-Fi on.
- Provide the SSID.
- Select the Security type.
- Provide the password.
- Set the proxy.
- Assign the policy to devices from Policy targets.
- Save the policy.
Note: If you are adding hidden network, check the box for Hidden Network. Check the box for Auto Join if you wish the device to connect automatically to the Wi-Fi.
What happens when you push the new Wi-Fi profile?
The new Wi-Fi will be configured automatically. When the current Wi-Fi becomes unavailable the new Wi-Fi will get connected automatically if you have enabled Auto Join or you can connect to the Wi-Fi manually.
Note: No two Wi-Fi can be configured in the same policy. You will have to create a new policy for the additional Wi-Fi you wish to configure.
In most of the devices, the new Wi-Fi configuration profile will get added automatically without any prompts. However in devices like Xiaomi, the user will have to give permission to add the new Wi-Fi profile manually. To enable automatic Wi-Fi profile installation.
- Go to device settings.
- Select Hexnode MDM from Installed Apps.
- Select Other permissions.
- Enable the option Change Wi-Fi connectivity.
Only after doing so, the new Wi-Fi profile gets installed. Once this is done, no more prompts will appear when you push additional Wi-Fi profiles.