Common Issues in Android Kiosk App Management
1. Failed updating Enterprise app via APK file
|In the policy associated with the device, installing apps from unknown sources may have been disabled.
|Ensure that you enable the Install apps from unknown sources option from Policies > Android > Advanced Restrictions > Allow App Settings. Note that this restriction applies only to Samsung Knox devices and devices enrolled in the Android Enterprise program.
|Version name and code of the updated app may be the same as that of the old one.
|To update an enterprise app with a new version, ensure that the app version name and version code should be higher than the previous versions.
|A wrench icon appears on the app on updating to a higher version.
|If the device does not support silent app installation, a wrench icon will be shown on the app icon. Tap on the wrench icon to install the app manually.
|The app doesn’t get installed for so long, and the icon is shown incomplete, indicating that installation is still going on.
- If you have added the enterprise app to be updated as a mandatory app, then replacing the old APK file with a new one would automatically update the app without the app data being lost.
- If you have not added the app as a mandatory app, you should manually install the app to get it updated. (Manage > Click on the device > Actions > Install Application)
2. Failed to update store apps in multi-app kiosk
|Cannot update a store app in multi-app kiosk mode.
|The device and its enrollment type may not support silent updates.
|Add the Play Store app to the multi-app kiosk or as a background app so that when the update is pushed, the user can allow the latest version of the app to be installed on the device.
3. App not being listed under Android Kiosk Lockdown > Launcher
The app is not listed under Policies > Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown > Launcher.
Single App Kiosk
- The app will be listed only if it is added in single app kiosk mode.
- The time delay for the app to launch can be set accordingly.
- You can choose among the apps listed in multi-app kiosk mode and set the delay time.
4. Device got stuck in Single App mode while the app is open
|The device got stuck in Single App mode while the app was open.
(For devices running Android version below 8)
|The auto-launch delay is set below 10 seconds, and you could not take the device out of kiosk mode by tapping the screen ten times.
|The device got stuck in Single App mode while the app is open.
(For Android devices with OS version 8 and above)
|The auto-launch delay is set below 10 seconds, and you could not take the device out of kiosk mode by tapping the screen 10 times.
|The option “Activate Lock task mode on reboot while the device is locked” under Peripheral Settings is enabled. This feature might not work as expected in some devices as it can create difficulties in unlocking the device, accessing the keyboard, etc.
|Disable the option “Activate Lock task mode on reboot while the device is locked” under Peripheral Settings.
5. Cannot see multiple launch activities of an app in kiosk mode
|The device has an app that has more than one launch activity. Only one launch activity is visible when kiosk mode is enabled on the device despite adding all the launch activities to the kiosk.
|Advanced view of kiosk only supports one launch activity. Switch to basic view mode to see all the added launch activities.