Configure Motorola devices with OEMConfig
OEMs build OEMConfig apps so that admins can configure OEM-specific settings on Android devices. LEX OEMConfig app is the OEMConfig app of Motorola using which admins can obtain granular control of LEX L11 Android devices. With Hexnode, an admin can easily configure and deploy this app to enterprise devices.
Add LEX OEMConfig app to app inventory
OEMConfig apps are available in Managed Google Play Store. To configure the app, it first needs to be approved and added to the app inventory. For approving and adding apps:
- Navigate to the Apps tab.
- Click on the +Add apps button and select Managed Google Apps from the drop-down list.
- Search and select the required OEMConfig app.
- Click on Approve.
- Another pop-up comes showing the permissions required by the app. Go through it and click Approve to finalize.
- You will be taken to the Approval Settings page. Here you have to choose the method by which you would like to handle new app permission requests. You can choose from:
- Keep approved when app requests new permissions – Select this to enable automatic reapproval. This ensures that the app is reapproved regardless of the new permissions being requested.
- Revoke app approval when this app requests new permissions – This will remove the app from the store if it requests new permissions. The app will appear again in the store only when the user reapproves the app.
- Go to the Notifications tab. Here you can add email addresses to subscribe for email notifications when the apps you have approved request new permissions. Enter the email address and click on Add. You can add as many subscribers as you need. Click Save.
Adding LEX OEMConfig app to the device
Once the app is added to the inventory, it needs to be pushed to the device. This can be done either by using Mandatory App Policy or through Install Application action.
Configure LEX OEMConfig app
- Go to the Policies tab on your Hexnode portal.
- Create a new policy with the New Policy button or select an existing policy.
- From Android → App Management, select App Configurations.
- Click on Configure and + Add new configuration button.
- Select the LEX OEMConfig app from the list of approved apps.
- The app configuration screen is displayed. The settings available to configure are:
Restrictions Description Camera Settings – to control settings related to camera Shutter sound accessibility If allowed, the user will be able to modify the settings of the camera shutter sound. Camera shutter sound If enabled, there will be a characteristic sound played when a photo is clicked. Network Settings – to configure the network specific settings Settings related to Mobile Network VoLTE Switching on this setting will make calls use 4G LTE network instead of the conventional wireless voice network. VoLTE enables simultaneous web browsing and calls. The calls through this will have better voice quality. Data Roaming Setting this to “On” will allow the user to use mobile data even outside the coverage area of the cellular plan. Setting related to Wi-Fi Use WiFi Using this restriction, the admin can decide if the user should use Wi-Fi or not. Connected devices Settings NFC settings Android Beam Switching on Android Beam will allow data to be exchanged through near-field communication. It becomes useful when files like photos, videos, bookmarks etc. need to be shared over a short distance. Use NFC Configure this option to let users make use of NFC technology. Bluetooth settings Use bluetooth If this option is set to “Off” then the user will not be able to use Bluetooth. Display settings Display Sleep Use this setting to configure the time for which the device needs to be inactive before going to sleep mode. The available options are: 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes and 30 minutes. Auto-Rotate screen Setting the option to “On” will rotate the screen according to the orientation of the phone. Adaptive Brightness Setting the option to “On” will cause the screen brightness to adjust according to ambient light conditions. Battery Settings Battery Percentage Enabling this option displays battery percentage. Battery Saver Enable this option to let the user modify battery saver settings. Sound Settings Volume settings Ringer Mode Use this setting to specify if the phone should ring, vibrate or be mute. The options available are:
Ring Volume Select the ring volume here. 0 is the lowest value and 7 is the highest value possible. If it is set to 0, the phone will only vibrate. Alarm Volume Set the alarm volume. 1 is the lowest value and 7 is the highest value possible. Media Volume Choose the volume to play your music, videos and other media. 0 is the lowest value and 15 is the highest value possible. Call Volume Adjust this option to modify the volume of conversation that happen through the phone. 1 is the lowest value and 5 is the highest value possible. Lex Audio Preferences Settings MC Tone Volume Level Select the volume for mission-critical tones like Talk Permit Tone. The different volume levels available are:
Howling suppression When devices belonging to the same talk group come close to each other, there will be a disturbance caused. This disturbance is called as howling. Enabling this setting will reduce the disturbance and give better audio quality. Security Settings Location Switch on this option to let users use location services. Device Settings Covert Mode Configure the device to work in covert mode using this option. In covert mode, the device goes silent and blocks notifications and alerts. This ensures that they device does not disturb the user in the middle of stealth operations.
- Associate the Policy with Devices
- If the policy has not yet been saved:
- Navigate to Policy Targets. Select the target of the policy. They can be Devices, Device Groups, Users, User Groups and Domain.
- Select the devices and click OK.
- Click on Save to apply the policies.
- If the policy has been saved already:
- From Policies, select the policies to be associated.
- Click on Manage → Associate Targets and select the device.
- Click on Associate to apply the policy to the devices.
- If the policy has not yet been saved: