Troubleshooting Keychain issues on macOS devices
1. “Error: Not found in keychain”
Error message shown under System Preferences > Profiles > Hexnode MDM > DETAILS > Certificate on the macOS device. Occurs when you restore a Time Machine backup on the device after enrolling via ABM.
Open the Terminal app and enter the following command:
sudo profiles renew -type enrollment
This will automatically download an MDM profile on the device. Installing this profile will update the previously installed MDM profile, and the device will be re-enrolled in the portal.
This alert might be displayed on logging in to the Mac (macOS Mojave or earlier) after changing the password associated with the user account. This happens because the user account and login keychain passwords no longer match.
Click the ‘Update Keychain Password’ option in the message and enter your old password, then your new one as prompted. If you don’t remember the old password, click ‘Create New Keychain’.
Reset your keychain manually if you didn’t see an alert about the login keychain or if you see other messages prompting for your old password.
To manually reset your keychain:
- Open the Keychain Access app on the device.
- Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu.
- Click the Reset My Default Keychain button.
- Enter your new password and Click OK to confirm.
- Log out and then log in to your account using your new password. Your account and login keychain passwords now match again.
3. Your macOS device frequently prompts for the “login” keychain password.
Your Mac will frequently prompt for the “login” keychain password if the user account password and keychain password are out of sync or if it has been inactive for some time.
Specify how long Keychain Access should wait before prompting to enter the password again.
- Open the Keychain Access app on the device and click login from the Keychains list.
- Click Edit from the menu bar and choose Change Settings for Keychain “login”.
- Select the “Lock after” checkbox and enter the number of minutes after which the Keychain should get locked.
- Select the “Lock when sleeping” checkbox to prompt for a password each time the device goes to sleep.
- Click Save.