Unlike iOS, Hexnode MDM makes it possible to update enterprise apps that are setup as Kiosk. So when updates for enterprise apps are available, the devices don’t need to be taken out of kiosk mode.
There are 3 methods to update an enterprise app in Kiosk mode
Method 1: Replace the old APK file with the new one in the Hexnode app inventory
Method 2: Add the new app version in the kiosk whitelist
Method 3: Push the new app version via install application option (only for devices supporting silent app install)
Replace the old APK file with the new one in the Hexnode app inventory
- Login to your Hexnode MDM portal.
- Go to Apps tab.
- Search for the enterprise app you want to update.
- Click on the app.
- On the App details box, click on the Settings button.
- Select Edit from the drop down list.
- Click on the option Change beside the APK File.
- Upload the new app version.
- Click Save.
The enterprise app which is on the device will show an image of a wrench on it. Clicking on that app, the user can install the new app version.
Whitelist the new app version in kiosk policy
- Open the Kiosk Policy you created.
- Add the new app version to the existing whitelist and save the policy.
Here also, the app shows an image of a wrench and the user can install the app by clicking on it.
Push the new app version via install application action
This method is applicable only to devices which support silent app installation. The Android devices which support silent app installation currently are Samsung SAFE, LG GATE, Kyocera, Rooted Android devices and Customized devices which has Hexnode MDM as system app in it.
- Select the device in kiosk mode from the Management page.
- Click on Manage and select Install Application.
- Select the new app version from the list and click Done.
The app will install silently without any prompts.