How to update the enterprise kiosk apps on Android devices
Enterprises often use certain in-house apps whose sole purpose is to meet the necessities of the workforce and nothing more. These apps are called enterprise or in-house apps. Such apps should not be made available through the public storefronts and are therefore remotely deployed using Hexnode UEM.
Apart from over-the-air distribution, you can also deploy the in-house app updates remotely via the Hexnode even when the device is locked in kiosk mode. Kiosk mode is a restrictive mechanism via which devices can be constricted to run specific apps or features.
There are two methods to update an enterprise app in Kiosk mode.
Method 1: Replace the old APK file with the new one in the Hexnode app inventory.
Method 2: Add the new APK file as a new enterprise app in Hexnode app inventory and edit the Kiosk Lockdown policy associated with the devices.
Method 1: Replace the old APK file with the new one in the Hexnode app inventory
- Login to your Hexnode portal.
- Go to Apps tab.
- Search for the enterprise app you want to update.
- Click on the app name.
- On the App details box, click on the Settings button.
- Select Edit from the drop-down list.
- Click on the option Change beside the APK File.
- Upload the new app version.
- Click Save.
If the update is pushed, the in-house app on the device will show an image of a wrench on it. By clicking on that app, the user will be prompted to install the new app version. In the case of devices that support silent app installation, the devices will be automatically updated without any manual intervention even when locked in single app kiosk mode.
Method 2: Add the new APK file as a new enterprise app in Hexnode app inventory
- Login to your Hexnode MDM portal.
- Go to Apps tab.
- Click +Apps > Enterprise App.
- Choose the platform as Android and provide a new name for the new APK version.
- Choose a category and provide a suitable description.
- Upload the new APK file and click Save.
Now edit the Kiosk Lockdown policy associated with the device to replace the earlier version of the in-house app with the new one.
Edit the Kiosk policy by replacing the older version of the enterprise app with newer one
- Open the kiosk policy created.
- Remove the enterprise app having old APK file with the new enterprise app.
- Save the policy.
If the update reaches the device, the app will show an image of a wrench on it. Click on the app and initiate the update. The app update will be silent on devices that support silent installation of enterprise apps.