How to update Hexnode app on existing Android devices, without it logging out of Kiosk mode
Hexnode agent app present on the devices establishes communication between the MDM server and the enrolled devices. Hexnode always releases exciting new features and enhancements to its Hexnode MDM/Hexnode for Work apps. Organizations must ensure that their devices have the latest app version so that the devices won’t be missing out on any important features or bug fixes. Hence, the agent application must be updated to manage the devices efficiently.
Devices in kiosk mode facilitate exclusive device utilization by restricting the device usage to a limited number of applications. It would be tedious to exit devices from the kiosk mode to update the Hexnode agent app. Hexnode allows businesses to update the Hexnode MDM/Hexnode for Work applications on Android devices even in kiosk mode without impacting the end-users. The devices need not be taken out of kiosk mode every time a new update is available, reducing the overall business downtime. This can be done in Samsung Knox, Kyocera business phones, LG GATE, devices with Hexnode MDM as a system app, devices with Hexnode MDM System Agent app, and devices enrolled as Device Owner.
Updating Hexnode MDM app without logging out of Kiosk mode
In Samsung Knox, LG GATE, Kyocera business phones, devices with Hexnode MDM as a system app, and devices with Hexnode MDM System Agent app, enterprise apps can be pushed silently. Therefore we can upload the latest version of the Hexnode MDM app to the app inventory and push it to the devices. The application will get installed silently, and the device will not log out of kiosk mode during the process.
The Hexnode MDM app can be updated via either of the following methods:
Method 1: Replace the older Hexnode MDM app with the new version
- Navigate to Apps.
- Click on the Hexnode MDM app to replace it with its newer version.
- Click on the settings (gear) icon on the top-right corner of the app detail box and then click Edit.
- Upload the new APK file and click Save.
If the Hexnode MDM app is set as a mandatory app, and the policy is still associated with the device, the newer version of the Hexnode MDM app will be automatically pushed to the devices. Else, distribute the newly added enterprise app either via the ‘Install Application’ action or ‘Mandatory Apps’ policy.
Method 2: Upload the newer Hexnode UEM version as a new enterprise app
- Log in to your Hexnode portal.
- Go to Apps > +Apps > Enterprise App.
- Choose Android as the platform and provide a name for the latest Hexnode UEM version.
- Select a category and provide a suitable description.
- Upload the Hexnode UEM APK file and click Save.
- The app can then be pushed to the devices either via the ‘Install Application’ action or ‘Mandatory Apps’ policy.
Updating Hexnode For Work app in Device Owner Android devices without logging out of Kiosk mode
Android devices enrolled as Device Owner with Hexnode for Work app can install both store and enterprise apps silently. Therefore, the latest version of the Hexnode For Work application can be pushed to these devices either as a store or enterprise app.
To push the latest version of the Hexnode for Work application as an enterprise app, perform the same steps as that of updating the Hexnode MDM app while the devices are in kiosk mode. Provide the Hexnode for Work APK file instead of the Hexnode UEM APK file in that case.
To push the latest version of the Hexnode for Work application as a store app,
- Log in to your Hexnode portal.
- Go to the Apps tab.
- Search the app inventory for Hexnode For Work store app (this app will be present in every portal as a default).
- Click on the Hexnode For Work app.
- Click on the Settings (gear icon) on the top right corner of the App detail box, and from the drop-down list, click on Check for updates. If an update is available, the app will get updated, and if not, it will show No updates available.
- The Hexnode For Work store app can be pushed to the devices either as a Mandatory App through Policies or from Manage > select target devices > Actions > Install Application.