What is Fire OS?
Fire OS is Amazon’s operating system build on Google’s Android. It is similar to Android OS, except for the support of any Google product or services. Fire OS runs on Amazon Fire tablets and phones.
App Compatibility with Fire OS!
Fire OS is a forked version of Android; hence the apps running on Android devices should run on Fire devices too. Check your app’s compatibility with Fire OS through the App Testing Service.
How does Fire OS differ from Android?
The primary difference between them is the non-support for any Google product and services. Fire OS uses Amazon’s services instead of Google’s services. Notably, Amazon App Store replacing Google Play Store.
The table contrasts the primary services from Google with that of Amazon.
|Google Android OS||Amazon Fire OS|
|Google Play Store||Amazon App Store|
|Google Maps||Amazon Maps API|
|Sign-In with Google||Login with Amazon|
|Cast SDK||Fling SDK|
|Google Play Developer API||Developer Publishing API|
|Fire-base cloud messaging||Amazon Device Messaging|
Feature support by Hexnode MDM
Fire OS supports most of the features supported by Android except a very few.
- Hexnode for Work app is not supported.
- The location mode should be set to High Accuracy to fetch the exact location.
- Fire OS doesn’t support Enrollment using G Suite.
- Fire OS doesn’t support Zero Touch Enrollment.
- Setting Wallpaper is device specific.
- Hexnode Browser is device specific.
- Fire OS doesn’t support video format for Kiosk screensaver in Android devices. It supports image and audio formats.
- Recent app button cannot be disabled (Policies > Kiosk Settings > Android Kiosk Mode > Peripheral Settings > Hardware/software buttons > Enable recent apps button).
- Keep screen on doesn’t work while an app is open (Policies > Kiosk Settings > Android Kiosk Mode > Peripheral Settings > Display > Keep screen on).
- The restrictions Users can turn mobile data on/off, Users can choose preferred network type under Policies > Kiosk Settings >Android Kiosk Mode > Peripheral Settings > Network; are device specific.
Following features work same as that of Android.