Kiosk mode is a lockdown mechanism to limit your Android smartphone or tablet to a single app or a handful of applications of your choice. With Kiosk mode turned on, the Android device gets restricted to just the chosen applications. Other apps, device settings or even the notifications bar won’t be accessible to the user.
Create a Kiosk Mode policy
The below video shows how to create a multi app kiosk mode for Android devices.
- Go to Policies > New Policy > Kiosk Settings > Android Kiosk Mode – Multi App Kiosk.
- Click Configure and click on the + icon.
- Select the apps you want to add from the list.
- Click Done.
If you want to associate the policy to devices right away
- Click on Policy Targets.
- Click on +Add devices and select the devices from the list and click OK. You can also choose users, groups or domains as policy targets.
- Click Save.
If you want to associate the policy later
- Go to Policies and select the kiosk policy.
- Click Manage and select Associate Targets.
- Select the devices from the list and click Associate.
Kiosk policy has been assigned to the target devices with the selected apps. Now you have got to turn on Kiosk mode on the devices.
Enabling the kiosk mode in the Android devices
Once the kiosk policy is associated to the device, the device will get prompt to activate the kiosk mode.
- In the Hexnode MDM app, enable the kiosk mode by clicking Next.
- On the kiosk set up page, click on Usage Access Permission and give the permission for Hexnode MDM app.
- Click Activate Kiosk.
Android Kiosk Peripheral Settings
There are many peripheral settings available in Hexnode’s Android Kiosk mode.
To access the peripheral settings,
- Select Kiosk Settings in the policy.
- Select Peripheral Settings under Android Kiosk Mode.
The peripheral control provided by Hexnode Android kiosk are:
Android Kiosk App Settings
The Samsung SAFE supported devices and rooted devices will allow app downgrading in kiosk mode. To enable this
- In the kiosk policy select App settings under Android Kiosk Mode.
- Click Configure.
- Select the option Enforce app downgrade.
- Save the policy.
Android Kiosk Miscellaneous Settings
To enable the miscellaneous controls such as location check in and admin message,
- Select your kiosk policy from policies and go to Kiosk Settings.
- Select Miscellaneous Settings under Android Kiosk mode.
User Location Check-in
The users can push their current location from their mobile devices via: Settings > Location Check-in.
Admin messages for users
Find out how to send messages to kiosk devices from the MDM console here : Hexnode Messenger
Exit Kiosk Mode
Kiosk can be exited in many different ways based on different scenarios. Find out all about exiting kiosk mode here : How to exit Android kiosk mode
Download Hexnode MDM APK file
The Hexnode MDM APK file can be downloaded from the console itself by clicking Download Hexnode MDM under Android Kiosk Mode in Kiosk Settings.
How Android Kiosks work?
On Android devices, Kiosk mode works by replacing the default Launcher with a password protected custom launcher/app drawer. On the Kiosk Launcher, the home button, back button and recent apps tray would no longer work. Neither would the notifications shade. However, the volume keys and power/lock button may be configured to work. Unlocking the device directly opens up the Kiosk launcher, bypassing the Android lock screen.