How to enable Lock Task Mode on Android devices
Lock task mode settings allows the users to disable all the major system UI features such as home button, notifications, recent apps button, and global actions. Enabling lock task mode on the Android device transforms the device into an immersive kiosk, with only the whitelisted apps active on the device.
Steps to enable lock task mode for Android
To set up an immersive kiosk experience for the users’ on the Android Enterprise devices,
- Enroll your Android devices in Android Enterprise as Device Owner.
- On your Hexnode MDM console, navigate to Policies tab and create a new policy. You can also choose to continue with an existing policy.
- Tap on Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown and lock down the device in either single app or multi-app kiosk mode.
- Next, choose Peripheral Settings and under Advanced Lock category, enable Lock task mode.
|Lock task mode
|Enabling this option would prevent all the system UI features listed below. When this option is enabled on devices below Android 9.0, the below features are disabled with no regards to the set configurations. But on Android 9.0+ devices, these features are customizable.|
|Enabling the option would display the system information (Wi-Fi and network signal bars, time, battery level) across the status bar.|
|Disable this option to make the home button functionless.|
|Enable this option to display the notifications icon on the status bar, heads-up notifications and the expandable notification shades for both whitelisted and non-whitelisted apps.
|Recent apps button
|Disable this option to make the recent apps button non-functional.|
|Enable this option to view the global actions menu when the power button is held. Disabling this option would prevent the device from being turned off.|
|Activate Lock task mode on reboot while the device is locked||Usually, on rebooting a device on lock task mode, you will land on the device lock screen. You will have to unlock the screen to activate the lock task mode. However, enabling this option immediately activates it on the device after a reboot.
Associate policies with target devices
After formulating the desired policy, associate it with the target device. You can associate the policies with the target devices in two ways:
Method 1: If the policy is not yet saved,
- Tap on Policy Target > + Add Devices.
- Choose the target device and click OK.
- Click Save.
Method 2: If the policy has been saved,
- Choose the policy to be associated with the device.
- Click Manage and choose Associate Targets.
- Choose the device to associate the policy with.
- Click Associate.