A device must be enrolled in an MDM solution to securely manage it. Android devices can be enrolled to Hexnode in either device/profile owner or as device admin. Usually, devices deployed through Hexnode MDM app will be enrolled as device admin. And those devices with Hexnode for Work app installed will be device/profile owner enrolled. But with Hexnode, you can also enroll in device owner with Hexnode MDM app.
Android devices can be enrolled in non-Android Enterprise device owner in 2 different ways:
- If you are using a Samsung device, you can enroll in device owner through Samsung Knox enrollment.
- If you are using any Android 5.0+ device, you can enroll in device owner via ADB.
How to enroll a device in non–android enterprise device owner via ADB?
- In the device, go to Settings > System > About phone and tap on the build number 7 times.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Install ADB on your computer and download Hexnode MDM to the ADB folder.
- Open Command Prompt, navigate to the ADB folder and start ADB server with the following command:
- Connect the Android device to the computer, and use this ADB command to get Hexnode MDM installed:
adb install HexnodeMDM.apk
- Type in the following command to make Hexnode MDM the device owner:
adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.hexnode.hexnodemdm/com.hexnode.mdm.receivers.HexnodeDeviceAdminReceiver
- Open the Hexnode MDM app in the device and either scan the QR code or type in the server name.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.