How to enroll a device in non-Android Enterprise as device owner
A device must be enrolled in an MDM solution to securely manage it. Android devices can be enrolled to Hexnode in either device/profile owner or as device admin. Usually, devices deployed through Hexnode UEM app will be enrolled as device admin. And those devices with Hexnode for Work app installed will be device/profile owner enrolled. But with Hexnode, you can also enroll in device owner with Hexnode UEM app.
Devices running Android v5.0 or later can be enrolled in non-Android Enterprise Device Owner via ADB.
How to enroll a device in non–Android Enterprise device owner via ADB?
- In the device, go to Settings > System > About phone and tap on the build number 7 times.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Install ADB on your computer and download Hexnode UEM to the ADB folder.
- Open Command Prompt, navigate to the ADB folder and start ADB server with the following command:
adb command to start server1adb start-server
- Connect the Android device to the computer, and use this ADB command to get Hexnode UEM installed:
adb command to install Hexnode UEM apk1adb install HexnodeMDM.apk
- Type in the following command to make Hexnode UEM the device owner:
adb command to make Hexnode UEM the device owner1adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.hexnode.hexnodemdm/com.hexnode.mdm.receivers.HexnodeDeviceAdminReceiver
- Open the Hexnode UEM app in the device and either scan the QR code or type in the server name.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.