Kiosk mode or Single App mode in iOS is the situation where the device is restricted to run on a single application. The Kiosk mode for iOS is an efficient replacement for the traditional kiosk devices. The main reason is that it is very easy to put an iOS device into a single app mode and very easy to handle. For an iOS device to be put in Single app mode, it needs to be Supervised.
Two simple steps to enable Kiosk mode for iOS
With the help of Hexnode MDM any iOS device can be turned into a Kiosk in two simple steps which are
- Create policy.
- Associate targets.
Before anything else the devices should be,
- Enrolled in Hexnode MDM and
- The app you wish to set up as kiosk should already be installed in the device.
Once the device is enrolled and the app is installed the setting up of Kiosk mode is a no-brainer.
- In the Policies tab click New Policy.
- Select Kiosk Settings.
- Select Single App Kiosk from iOS Kiosk Mode and click Configure.
- Click on the + icon on the mobile screen shown and select the app.
- Click Done and save the policy.
If you want to set an Enterprise app as kiosk you will have to add that app to the app list. For that,
- Go to Admin –> App settings –> Apps.
- Click on +Add Apps and select the category Enterprise App. Choose the file and click Add.
Now your Enterprise app will show up in the apps list with Enterprise as its category. This app then needs to be pushed to the devices and then set into Kiosk mode.
Hexnode MDM allows you to enforce additional restrictions over the single app mode. The Kiosk restrictions that are supported by iOS 7 and above are as follows…
- Disable touch – Any touch actions on the device can be prevented by enabling this option.
- Disable device screen rotation – The device screen rotation can be disabled by choosing this option.
- Disable volume buttons – The device volume buttons can be disabled completely by selecting this option.
- Disable ringer switch – This option will disable the user from using the ringer switch to put the device in silent or loud mode. When selected this option, the device will stay on whichever mode that was already activated.
- Disable sleep wake button – This option strips the ability from the sleep/wake button by putting the device in its current mode permanently (while in the kiosk mode). ie; if the device was in wake mode, it will stay in that mode as long as this option is selected.
- Disable auto lock – This option will stop the device from locking itself. The auto lock settings configured in the passcode policy will be over ruled here.
- Enable voice over – Selecting this option will enable the voice over feature in the device which speaks based on gestures.
- Enable zoom – The user can zoom the device screen only if this option is enabled.
- Enable invert colors – This option when checked, gives the user ability to invert colors by triple clicking the home button.
- Enable assistive touch – This option when checked will enable assistive touch feature that creates soft keys for some of the hardware buttons.
- Enable speak selection – Selecting this option will enable speak selection feature which will read out a selection potion of a text.
After you create the policy you need to associate this policy to all the devices that need to be put in Applock.
• Click on Policy Targets and click +Add Devices.
• Select the devices, click OK and you’re done.
- You can apply only one kiosk profile to a device at a time.
- Before adding an app in the kiosk mode, make sure the app is already installed in the device. Failure to do so will result freezing of the device in an inoperable mode. You will have to remove the kiosk profile from the device in order to recover the device.
- When disabling the sleep/wake button, please remember to adjust the device screen-out time to “None”.
- While in the kiosk mode, if the device looses network, you cannot make any changes to the device from the Hexnode MDM console.