Device Enrollment Program or DEP enables automatic deployment of your corporate Apple
devices. Once a device is activated, it is immediately configured without the need for IT to
physically do it. Following documentation will explain how to use Apple DEP with Hexnode MDM.
To integrate Hexnode MDM to Apple DEP, admin must do the following settings
- Go to Admin
- Click DEP
- Click DEP Settings button on the top.
Apart from information like Account name, default user and policy, it needs a DEP token file to be
uploaded. Here are the steps to generate this token.
1. Download the certificate file dep_cert.pem
2. Go to https://deploy.apple.com/ and login with your apple ID.
3. Navigate to Device Enrollment Program and add MDM server.
4. Choose a suitable name and upload the certificate file downloaded in step 1.
5. Download the server token file provided.
Renew a DEP Token
Apple DEP tokens need to be renewed every year. Follow the above steps and upload new token
before your previous token expires.
By default, this page lists the devices enrolled under this program. It shows the device serial
number and model along with the DEP policies assigned, if any to the device.
To associate a device with a profile
1. Select the device.
2. Click Associate Profile button on the top. The following window pops up.
3. Select the profile to be assigned and click ‘Assign’.
To associate a device to a user
1. Select the device.
2. Click ‘Associate User’ button. Following windows pops up.
3. Select the domain and user and click Assign button.
By default, this page lists all the existing DEP policies.
To see the details of any policy
1. Click on its name
2. The following screen pops up with detailed information about the policy.
You can also edit the policy on this page and save it again.
To add a new policy
1. Click the ‘+Add Policy’ button. It pops up a blank policy page.
2. Configure your policy settings and click save.
Here is the description of the configuration parameters for a policy.
- Display name– A friendly name of the policy.
- Department – Department name to which the devices are assigned.
- Support Phone Number – Contact number for users if they need help during setup.
- Mandatory– Check this, if it is mandatory for users to complete enrollment during
- Supervised– Check this, if the devices under this policy are supervised upon
- Allow pairing– Check this, if the devices can be paired with a computer.
- Removable-Check this, if this profile is removable.
- Is multi user– Check this, if a device can have multiple users.
- Skip steps– Hexnode MDM DEP allows for a customized setup Experience. Check
the options which are allowed to be skipped during setup.