Device Enrollment Program or DEP enables automatic deployment of your corporate Apple devices. Once a device is activated, it is immediately configured without the need for IT to physically do it. Following documentation will explain how to use Apple DEP with Hexnode MDM.
To integrate Hexnode MDM with the Device Enrollment Program by Apple, the following steps are to be followed:
- Go to the Enroll > All Enrollments > No-Touch > Apple Business / School Manager.
- Create a DEP Account and download the certificate file.
Here a DEP token is required which is to be uploaded to the portal.
Follow the steps below to download a server token:
- Login to Apple Business Manager Page..
- Click on MDM Servers in the side bar > Click on Add New MDM Server button and name the server.
- Upload the public key obtained from the MDM console while setting up DEP > Click Save.
- Click on Get Token > Download the server token and upload it to the MDM console.
- Click Save
Renew a DEP Token
Apple DEP tokens need to be renewed every year. Follow the above steps and upload new token before your previous token expires.
To pre-approve DEP devices
To add DEP devices as Pre-approved devices, check the option Add as Pre-approved Device under DEP Settings.
By default, the DEP device tab contains the list of devices enrolled under DEP, the list would contain details like the serial number, model along with the DEP policies applied to that device if any.
To associate a device with a profile
- Select the device.
- Click Associate DEP Policy button on the top. The following window pops up.
- Select the profile to be assigned and click Assign.
By default, this page lists all the existing DEP policies.
To see the details of any policy
- Click on its name.
- The following screen pops up with detailed information about the policy.
You can also edit the policy on this page and save it again.
To add a new policy
- Click the Create DEP Policy button. It pops up a blank policy page.
- Configure your policy settings and click Save.
Here is the description of the configuration parameters for a policy.
- Display name– A friendly name of the policy.
- Department – Department name to which the devices are assigned.
- Support Phone Number – Contact number for users if they need help during setup.
- Enroll Devices in MDM– Check this, if it is mandatory for users to complete enrollment during setup.
- Allow MDM Profile Removal– Check this, if this profile is removable.
- Enable Supervision– Check this, if the devices under this policy are supervised upon
- Allow iTunes pairing– Check this option to allow users to sync their devices with iTunes. Disabling this option will prevent every iTunes related actions. To re-enable it, the device will have to be wiped and re-enrolled.
- Enable Multi User Mode– Check this, if a device can have multiple users.
- Enrollment authentication settings– Choose the authentication method to be used for enrollment.
- Don’t show the selected steps– Hexnode MDM DEP allows for a customized setup Experience. Check the options which are allowed to be skipped during setup.