Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) enables automatic deployment of your corporate Apple devices. Once a device is activated, the device will be automatically configured without the need to do it physically.
You cannot migrate a device from one DEP to another. Once DEP is removed, it is no longer possible for the device to enroll back into DEP. So, there is this other way of changing the MDM server keeping the DEP same. To do this, you’ll need nothing but an internet connection and a web browser.
Follow the series of steps given below which will guide you through the process of changing the device from one MDM server to the other.
Step 1: Create a new MDM server at Apple Deployments Program portal.
- Login at https://deploy.apple.com/.
- Navigate to Manage Servers > Add MDM Server and name it.
- Upload the public key obtained from the MDM console while setting up DEP.
- Download the server token and upload it to the MDM console.
If you are planning to migrate from any MDM solutions to Hexnode and move your device(s) to Hexnode MDM, you can obtain the public key (server token) from Admin tab > DEP > DEP Settings and clicking on dep_cert.pem.
Step 2: After creating an MDM server, assign devices to that server.
- Click on Manage Devices in Apple Deployments Program portal.
- You can add devices either by serial number or order number, or upload a CSV file with all the serial or order numbers. A sample CSV file can be downloaded from Manage Devices > Upload CSV File > Download Template File.
- Once you successfully complete doing this, click on Choose MDM Server and select a new server. Click OK.
Nothing more. Configure DEP policy on your MDM console and start using the device on that MDM service.