A device set in single app mode will not permit exit from the kiosk mode directly from the device end. The usual kiosk exit methods are non-functional in case of a single app mode-enabled device. To overcome this scenario, Hexnode brings in the kiosk launcher settings. This feature lets the users set a time interval (in seconds) for a kiosk app to launch automatically. After the kiosk app launches on the device, the user can return to the kiosk home screen to initiate kiosk exit. This feature also allows users to customize the launcher.
The auto-launch feature allows the kiosk app to run in the foreground as the default kiosk app. The users can set a specific time interval for the app to re-launch automatically. This feature is basically useful for single app mode-enabled devices as exiting from the kiosk mode in such a scenario is rather tedious. However, the feature is supported on multi-app kiosk-enabled devices as well.
Customization refers to modifying the outlook of the launcher as per the requirement of the users or the scenario in demand. By setting up customization options, the users can modify the app icon size.
Steps to set up launcher settings
To allow a kiosk app to launch automatically on your Android device,
- Login to your Hexnode MDM console.
- Navigate to Policies > New Policy. You can also choose to continue with an existing policy.
- Set up a single app or multi app kiosk policy under Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown.
- Next, choose Launcher under Android Kiosk Mode.
- Under Auto-Launch,
- Under Customizations,
- Customize kiosk launcher– Enable this option to modify the kiosk launcher.
- Icon size– Choose the desired icon size- small, medium, large, extra-large or custom. This would allow the users to modify the size of the kiosk app icon as per their requirement.
- Set size (in px) – Choose the custom size for the app icon. It can take values from 36-150 px.
- Next, associate the policy with the target device.
Associate the policy with target device
After setting up the policy, associate the same with the target device. Follow either of the two methods to associate the policy with the device:
Method 1: If the policy is not saved,
- Navigate to Policy Targets > + Add Devices.
- Choose the device, device groups, user, user groups or domains you wish to associate the policy with from the list of enrolled devices. Click OK.
- Click Save.
Method 2: If the policy is saved,
- Choose the policy from the list of saved policies in the Policy tab.
- Tap on Manage and choose Associate Targets.
- Choose the device, device groups, user, user groups or domains to associate the policy with.
- Click Associate.