APNs certificates are required to send push notifications from the server to an app in iOS devices. This article shows how you can renew APNs certificate.
Step 1: Obtain signed Certificate Signing Request from Hexnode
- Go to Admin tab in Hexnode MDM console and select APNs Settings.
You’ll be able to see the topic, date of certificate creation and expiration. There’ll be a message saying your certificate expire within certain days if the certificate is approaching expiration.
- Click on the Renew Certificate button, and you’ll be taken to a setup window, where you can generate a new Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
- Click on the Generate CSR request, and you’ll be able to download the CSR (hexnode_signed_casr.txt).
- Click Next and then on ‘Apple push terminal’, and you’ll be redirected to Apple Push Certificates Portal. You can also go to https://identity.apple.com/pushcert/ manually.
- Sign into Apple Push Certificate Portal with your Apple ID and password you used previously for generating the certificate.
- A list of all certificates generated with your Apple ID will be shown, including the expired and revoked ones.
- Identify the certificate that is to be renewed, click on Renew, and on the next page, upload the CSR obtained earlier from Hexnode MDM console.
- When you upload the CSR, the APNs certificate is generated automatically and downloaded to your computer (.pem file format). To manually download the certificate, go to Apple Push Certificates Portal where you will find all your certificates. Find the required certificate and click on Download to download the certificate.
- When you have a new APNs certificate from Apple, go back to Hexnode MDM console, and click on the Next button. At this point, you’ll be asked to upload the certificate to Hexnode. Upload the valid certificate. When you are done, click Finish to renew the APNs certificate.
- The APNs certificate expires every year, so it is better to have a new APNs certificate every year or renew the existing one before the date of expiration. If a certificate expires, you cannot manage the devices anymore until you renew it.
- Renew the certificate with the same Apple ID that was used to create the certificate for the first time. You’ll need to re-enroll all devices if you use a different Apple ID.
Step 2: Renew APNs Certificate
Now that we have a CSR, let’s upload it to the Apple Push Certificates Portal to generate a new APNs certificate.
Two important things to be cared about
The renewal process is almost as same as that of generating a new certificate. Note that the given steps apply for Hexnode MDM.
Note: If obtain a new APNs certificate instead of renewing, you’ll need to re-enroll devices.