How to add user account on macOS devices?
Creating user accounts on corporate devices is essential in a business workspace where more than one employee needs to access the same device. Setting up multiple user accounts on a device creates an individual login experience for each user. The Create User Account action from Hexnode UEM helps you add user accounts on macOS devices remotely. Each user can then personalize the device settings without affecting the other users. Also, specifying the account type while creating the account ensures that the user does not access any data or modify the settings beyond the privileges associated with the account type. Thus, it provides a secure device experience to all the users discretely.
Create User Account
To create a user account on a macOS device:
- Login to your Hexnode portal.
- Navigate to Manage > Devices.
- Select a device.
- Navigate to Actions > Create User Account.
- You can configure the following account set-up options.
- Account Type: Account type specifies the type of user. You can choose either Standard or Administrator. The privileges granted to users varies with the account type. An Administrator can create new users, convert ‘Standard’ users to ‘Administrators’, install apps, change settings, etc. Standard users can modify their settings, but they cannot create new users or manage other users’ settings.
- Full Name: Specify the full name of the user. The field supports the use of all the wildcards.
- Account Name: Conforming to the Full Name field’s value, the account name gets generated automatically. You may modify it to use a different account name. The account name will be used to name the user’s home folder. Either ‘Full Name’ or ‘Account Name’ can be used to log in to the device. The field supports the use of all the wildcards.
- Password: Configure a password for the account. The field supports the use of all the wildcards.
- Verify Password: Re-enter the password to verify it.
- Password Hint: Password hints helps the user remember the account password. The value specified here will be displayed as the password hint in the login window when the user enters an incorrect password three times consecutively or while pressing the question mark in the password field on the device. The field supports the use of all the wildcards.
- Aliases: This option is an alternative to create a shorthand version of a user account. For example, if the full name of a user is ‘Henrick Bartholomew’. You can use aliases like Henry, HB, etc. It enables users to log in to the devices using the username aliases. Multiple aliases should be comma-separated.
- Hide account from Login Window and Users & Groups: You can determine whether the account can be displayed on the login window or viewed from the Users & Groups wizard in the devices’ System Preferences. Enable this option to hide the account from the login window and Users & Groups pane.
- Grant Secure Token – You can choose whether the secure token is to be enabled for the user account. Secure tokens are necessary for the execution of FileVault, KEXTs and software updates. This option is enabled by default. To enable Secure Token for a local user, enter the credentials of an Admin user for which secure token has been already enabled.
- Administrator Username – Enter the username of the administrator user account. An incorrect username can result in account creation failure.
- Administrator Password – Enter the password of the administrator user account. An incorrect password can result in account creation failure.
- Click Create.