Apple Push Notification service (APNs) is a service created by Apple Inc. to handle the communication to apple devices from third parties.
To communicate with an iOS device, Hexnode MDM server will first send a notification to APNS server and then the server will in-turn communicate with the device. The APNS server will act as a gateway of communication to all iOS devices. Hence we need the APNS certificate to authorize this communication from Hexnode MDM to iOS device.
APNS certificate is valid for one year from the date of creation. You need to renew the certificate after every 365 days. This process of renewing the certificate is same as creating a new one.
APNS configuration can be done in 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Create a Certificate Signing Request
To create a certificate signing request,
- Login to your Hexnode MDM Portal.
- Go to Admin > APNs.
- Click on Configure APNs Certificate.
- Click on Generate CSR to download the self-signed certificate from Hexnode.
Step 2: Upload the Self-Signed certificate in the Apple Server
Once the self-signed certificate is downloaded,
- Go to Apple Push Certificates Portal website and login with your company Apple ID.
- Click on Create Certificate to create APNs certificate.
- Upload the self-signed certificate.
- Download the APNs certificate generated by Apple.
Step 3: Upload the APNs certificate back to the application
Upload the APNs certificate back to Hexnode MDM Portal
Once the Certificate is uploaded, you will have the following details displayed under Admin > APNs.
Renewing APNs certificate
APNS certificate will have one year of validity from the date of creation, after which you need to renew the certificate. This can be done by clicking the option renew certificate under the admin tab, APNS settings. Then you need to follow the same process of APNs certificate configuration.