Grant Permissions for Hexnode Apps using Android Debug Bridge (ADB)
Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a command-line tool that allows a computer to communicate with a connected Android device. It empowers administrators to execute various actions on Android devices, such as installing apps, granting app permissions, and more. This article will walk you through the steps to automatically grant several permissions for the Hexnode apps using Android Debug Bridge.
ADB commands to grant permissions for Hexnode UEM app
Follow the below series of steps to install the Hexnode UEM app, make the app a Device Owner, and later grant the necessary app permissions via ADB:
- Navigate to Settings > About phone > Software information on the Android device. Next, tap on the Build number seven times to turn on Developer mode.
- Then, head on to Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
- Now, install ADB on your computer and download the Hexnode UEM app to the ADB folder.
- Next, open Command Prompt and navigate to the ADB folder. Enter the below command to start the ADB server:
Start ADB server1adb start-server
- Now, you can connect your Android device to the computer. Execute the below command to install the Hexnode UEM app on the device:
Install the Hexnode UEM app1adb install HexnodeMDM.apk
- Next, enter the following command to make Hexnode UEM the device owner:
Make Hexnode UEM the device owner1adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.hexnode.hexnodemdm/com.hexnode.mdm.receivers.HexnodeDeviceAdminReceiver
- Once the Hexnode agent app is installed on the device, IT can use ADB commands to grant the following permissions for the Hexnode UEM app:
- Enable Usage Access
Enable Usage Access1adb shell appops set com.hexnode.hexnodemdm GET_USAGE_STATS allow
- Enable Draw Over Apps
Enable Draw Over Apps1adb shell appops set com.hexnode.hexnodemdm SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW allow
- Write System Settings
Write System Settings1adb shell appops set com.hexnode.hexnodemdm WRITE_SETTINGS allow
- Notification Access
Notification Access1adb shell cmd notification allow_listener com.hexnode.hexnodemdm/com.hexnode.hexnodemdm.mylistener
- Allow App Installation
1adb shell appops set com.hexnode.hexnodemdm REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES allow
- Disable Battery Optimization
Disable Battery Optimization1adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist +com.hexnode.hexnodemdm
- Manage All files from Android 11
Manage All files from Android 111adb shell appops set com.hexnode.hexnodemdm MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE allow
- Enable Usage Access
Once the user completes the enrollment, the Hexnode UEM app will be automatically ready for action with all the necessary permissions. However, the users will still have to manually grant permissions for App logs and activate the password token.