An Administrator can broadcast messages to the user’s Android, iOS, and Windows 10 devices from Hexnode MDM. Wildcards can be included within these messages to display device/user details on the device. These messages are displayed as a pop-up and will be saved on the device for future reference.
Setting up the Device to Receive Messages
In order to receive a message on the device, the device should be enrolled in Hexnode MDM. There is nothing more to set up on an Android device.
In iOS, after you enroll the device in Hexnode MDM, the Hexnode MDM app will be installed automatically on the device. Open the app and allow Hexnode MDM to show notifications to receive the messages broadcasted by the admin.
For Windows devices, once the devices are enrolled, Hexnode notification app will be automatically installed on the device. Ensure that you open the app and allow Hexnode notification to show notifications to receive the messages broadcasted by the admin.
Send a Message to a Device
To send a message to a device,
- Login to your Hexnode portal.
- Navigate to Manage tab.
- Check all devices to which the message is to be sent.
- From Manage, select Broadcast Message.
- Type in a message, a maximum of 500 characters is allowed. Include message variables if needed. You can include Device Name (%devicename%), IMEI Number (%imei%), Serial Number (%serialnumber%), User Name (%name%), Email (%email), Device ID (%deviceid%), Domain (%domain%) and NetBIOS Name (%netbiosname%).
- Click on Send, and the message will be delivered to the device.
How are Messages Shown on the Device?
On an Android device, the message is shown as a pop-up, with View and Cancel buttons.
View button takes you inside the Hexnode MDM app with the message displayed in a larger area which makes it easy to read long messages.
Cancel button hides the message. Hidden messages can be accessible later on from Hexnode MDM app.
On iOS devices, messages are shown as notifications. Messages can be read instantly or can be viewed later under Messages in Hexnode App. Unread message count will be shown as badges on the Hexnode App.
iOS devices show the message in the lock screen.
If the included wild card detail is not available, the wild card will be displayed as such.
On a Windows 10 PC, the message will be shown in the notification area.
View Messages from Hexnode MDM App
Hexnode MDM app stores all messages sent by the admin. To view those messages,
- Open Hexnode MDM app.
- Swipe from the left and select Messages.
- Tap on a message to see its full content.
View Messages while in Kiosk Mode
There’s nothing specific to set up in iOS. All messages are displayed as notifications while in kiosk mode. In Android devices, to display a message as pop up in kiosk mode, you should enable Hexnode Messenger in Android kiosk settings.
- Go to Policies from Hexnode MDM console.
- Add a new policy with the Add New button, or click on an existing policy.
- Go to the Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown > Peripheral Settings > and check View messages sent by admin under Messenger.
- From Policy Targets tab, select a device, user, device group or user group to get the policy associated with them.
- Save the policy.
While the device is in multi-app kiosk mode, enabling Hexnode Messenger let the user access all messages previously received on their device.