How can we manage BYOD?
Bring your own device (BYOD) is an emerging trend adopted by enterprises to allow users to use their personal devices for work. With BYOD, employees can work on devices they are already familiar with. It saves enterprises a lot of expenses because they do not have to procure devices for each employee. In a nutshell, BYOD increases productivity and reduces overall cost.
However, BYOD brings with it a set of new considerations for security, privacy, and management. Hexnode’s BYOD management helps organizations strike the perfect balance between security and privacy. Enterprises can secure corporate data without compromising the privacy of their employees.
Android BYOD Management
The key features of Android BYOD management offered by Hexnode include:
- Rapid enrollment: Hexnode offers a multitude of enrollment methods, ranging from open to authenticated, and minimal touch options like self enrollment and QR code enrollment to enroll personal devices seamlessly. Hexnode, in conjunction with Android Enterprise, elevates Android BYOD management to the next level. It is ideal to enroll the device as a Profile Owner in the Android Enterprise program if the devices are meant for both personal and work use.
- Efficient control of personal devices: Hexnode lets the admin configure the ownership of the devices before enrolling them in Hexnode UEM. It allows the grouping of personal devices so that policies and configurations can be applied separately without any conflicts. Newly added personal devices can be automatically assigned with pre-defined configurations.
- Containerization: With Hexnode, the admin can establish encrypted containers on Android Enterprise devices. It helps enterprises to isolate their work apps and data from everything else on the device. It also ensures that organizations can’t interact with any personal data on the device. The work apps are marked with a work badge (briefcase icon) to distinguish them from personal apps. The admin can restrict the sharing of work data outside of the container.
- Configurations and policies: You can define basic configurations such as Network (Wi-Fi, VPN, APN), Accounts (Email, Exchange ActiveSync), File Management, etc., for your devices. The admin can configure various device restrictions to ensure that the devices comply with organizational security standards.
- App management: Enterprises can manage, secure, and distribute any store or enterprise apps with Hexnode. IT has comprehensive control over the entire lifecycle of an app. The admin can install or uninstall applications without any user intervention. In addition, they can blocklist, allowlist, set up configurations & permissions, or update apps remotely. Hexnode also allows you to create app groups, app catalogs, and custom store layouts. Android Enterprise devices can avail the services of the Managed Google Play Store, which allows only adding the apps approved by the organization to the devices.
- Security and compliance: To ensure the safety and security of corporate data, the admin can enforce Data Loss Prevention (DLP) measures, containerized work profiles, device encryption, work profile passwords, web content filtering, and so forth. The devices are periodically scanned to ensure the devices adhere to the organization’s compliance requirements. Hexnode allows the admin to automatically deactivate the work container on non-compliance.
- Remote management: IT admins can use Hexnode to execute actions remotely if devices get lost or stolen. They can remotely lock, wipe, or ring such devices. A corporate data wipe can be executed to delete corporate data without wiping any personal data. The location tracking feature fetches the exact location of devices which can help in retrieving the device. Also, devices can be configured with specific policies to automatically group and restrict them.
iOS BYOD Management
iOS BYOD management is achieved by means of a container-like setup using enhanced restrictions in Hexnode UEM. Here’s an overview of how iOS BYOD management is achieved consistently by Hexnode:
- Streamlined enrollment: Hexnode makes BYOD deployments seamless as it helps in managing both user privacy and enterprise security without any hassle to IT admins. Personal iOS devices can be easily enrolled both with and without authentication. They can also be enrolled via Google Workspace (G Suite). Self enrollment & User enrollment on iOS devices are specifically designed for BYOD device management. These methods help users to enroll their devices with pre-assigned credentials or Managed Apple IDs.
- Business container: Business Container controls the flow of personal and corporate data between apps on iOS devices. It restricts unauthorized access to corporate data and also assures that privacy is protected.
- Restrictions: The restrictions such as ‘Backup’, ‘Sync documents’, and ‘Sync managed app data with iCloud’ prevent corporate data from being saved on iCloud.
- Advanced restrictions: Advanced restrictions such as ‘Install configuration profile’ and ‘Erase content and settings’ restrict users from adding unauthorized certificates and performing a factory reset on their devices, respectively. Also, restrictions like ‘Create VPN configuration’ and ‘Connect to MDM-configured Wi-Fi networks only’ will help them to establish more secure and authorized network connections.
macOS BYOD Management
Hexnode’s BYOD management for macOS devices ensures complete corporate data security without compromising the privacy of the employees. Let’s see how Hexnode simplifies Mac management with its comprehensive BYOD policies.
- Quick onboarding of Macs: Hexnode offers simplified onboarding programs where the users can enroll their Macs with just a few clicks. These programs include open enrollment, authenticated enrollment, and Google Workspace (G Suite) enrollment for Mac.
- Policies and configurations: An admin can get users ready for work by granting secure access to corporate resources. You can remotely deploy network configurations (Wi-Fi, VPN), accounts (Email, Exchange ActiveSync, CardDAV, CalDAV, LDAP), and other configurations such as Setup Assistant, AirPrint, Kernel Extensions, etc., to the personal Macs.
- Security management: Hexnode fortifies your workspace with its extensive security policies on devices, content, and apps. These policies include passwords, certificates, web content filtering, OS updates, time limits, smart card authentication, Firewall, login window preferences, etc.
- App management: Empowering users with the required business applications can be easily achieved with Hexnode. You can distribute/update/configure apps and create app catalogs remotely.
- Remote management: Hexnode adds an extra layer of security for Mac devices with its remote management capabilities. The actions such as remote device lock or wipe ensure data protection even if the devices are lost or stolen.
Windows BYOD Management
Hexnode offers superior features to simplify BYOD management and fortify security for Windows devices.
- Simple onboarding: Hexnode UEM provides IT admins with a wide range of methods to enroll Windows devices. Authenticated enrollments make sure that only the right users have access to corporate resources.
- Group management: Admins can categorize personal devices into separate groups and apply policies separately. Hexnode automates the process of applying configurations and restrictions to newly added devices that fall into these groups.
- Policies and configurations: Configuring devices with corporate Wi-Fi, Email, Exchange ActiveSync, etc., can be easily achieved with Hexnode UEM. It offers real-time protection from security threats using Windows Defender. In addition, it provides a bunch of restrictions to strike the perfect balance between corporate and personal data.
- Apps and content management: Hexnode enables the secure sharing of corporate apps and content without fussing about data security. It can blocklist/allowlist applications and check whether devices comply with the policies of the organization.
- Remote management: Organizations can execute timely actions on devices with Hexnode’s remote management functionalities. An admin can lock, wipe, or disenroll devices if devices get lost, stolen, or misplaced. The security of corporate data remains intact if Hexnode UEM manages the devices.