Take a systematic approach to keep Mac computers up to date in order to protect your users and their data. Update quickly, and upgrade as soon as you’ve determined that your workflow is compatible with a major new version of macOS. With Hexnode MDM, admin can upgrade his user’s DEP-enabled Mac device to the latest operating system when it’s made available. You can schedule macOS updates and specify the OS update to download or install.
It is always recommended to update to the latest OS version to receive access to all the new MDM features.
Setup scheduled macOS updates via policy
To schedule macOS updates on your managed devices via policy,
- From the Hexnode dashboard, go to Policies > New Policy. Assign a suitable name and description (optional) for the policy. You can also choose to continue with an already existing policy.
- Navigate to macOS > Security > OS Updates and click Configure.
- Choose the required OS update settings from the list.
Settings Description Notify Only Notify the user of a software update via App Store. Download Only Download the software update without installing it. Download and Install Downloads the updated version and starts installation immediately. Installation begins If the software update has been previously downloaded. Install Installs an already downloaded software update. Install later Download the software update and install it later.
- Next, associate the policy to a target device from Policy Targets > +Add Devices. You can also choose to associate the policy to a device group, user, user groups or domain from the left pane.
- Click Save to apply the policy to the target device.
Enforce OS updates on Mac via Actions
To update your Mac devices to the latest version,
- Navigate to Manage from the Hexnode dashboard and choose the target device or device group.
- Click on Actions drop-down and select Update OS. Choose the required action from the available list:
- Download and Install – Software updates are automatically downloaded and installed.
- Download Only – System updates are downloaded on the device but not installed. The user needs to install the updates manually on the device from System Preferences > App Store > Install macOS updates.
- Click Proceed.