The Device Enrollment Program (DEP) is one of the deployment programs by Apple. DEP helps deploying devices in bulk by automatically applying settings and configurations upon the initial device start up, making it ready to be used right out of the box . Over-the-air supervision of iOS devices is possible only if these devices are enrolled in DEP. DEP requires an MDM to Supervise it remotely.
You will have to Enroll your organization in DEP to access the program.
Configuring DEP in Hexnode MDM
- Login to your Hexnode MDM portal.
- Go to Enroll > Platform – Specific > iOS >Apple Business / School Manager.
- Click on Next.
- Create a DEP account and download the certificate file.
- Go to Apple Business Manager Page and sign in to your account.
- Verify your identity and enter the verification code.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Click on Device Management Settings under Organization Settings.
- Click on Add MDM Server.
- Provide a MDM Server name and upload the Certificate file you downloaded in Step 4.
- Click on Save and then select Download Token (from your MDM server) to download the Server Token.
- Go back to MDM DEP settings page and upload the token you have just downloaded.
- You can choose or ignore the settings to add as Pre-enrolled device.
- Select a Default DEP profile under Default Policy or you can create a new DEP policy here.
- Choose the type of authentication to be provided. You can choose either global authentication settings or No authentication.
The Default DEP Policy
There will be a default policy created in the DEP settings which needs to be applied during DEP configuration. Any required changes can be made in this policy. To enforce the device to enroll in MDM, select the option Enroll Devices in MDM in the DEP Policy. You can also decide if you want to allow the user to remove the MDM profile by selecting the option Allow MDM Profile Removal. Save the policy after making the changes.
Adding devices to DEP
Now that you have configured DEP, you can add devices to your account. Only devices purchased from Apple or an authorized dealer, on or after 1st March 2011 can be added to DEP. To be eligible, devices must be running an operating system that meets the following requirements:
- iOS 7 or later (for iOS devices)
- OS X 10.9 or later (for Mac devices)
- tvOS 10.2 or later (for Apple TV)
In Apple Business Manager page, under Device Assignments, there are two steps in which you can enroll devices.
- Choose Devices By: There are three options in this section – Serial Number, Order Number, and Upload CSV File. Devices can be enrolled to this server either by providing the devices’ serial numbers or by providing the purchase order number. A CSV file can also be uploaded containing the list of serial numbers of those devices needed to be enrolled.
- Choose Action: In this section, select Assign to Server option from the first drop-down box, and select your server name from the second list, to which you need to add the devices.
After enrolling devices in DEP portal, the details of assigned devices can be seen in the device assignment history, including serial number, the MDM server to which the device is assigned, policy associated and the device type.