How to enforce app installation on Windows devices
Most organizations require their workforce to install a number of essential applications on their devices. Hexnode UEM simplifies this process by remotely enforcing such apps to the devices by setting them as required.
Defining required apps helps ensure that all the necessary applications are installed silently on the devices. You can easily deploy store and enterprise (MSI) apps on your Windows devices using Hexnode UEM.
Add Required apps to Windows devices via policy
To install apps silently using the Required Apps policy:
- Login to your Hexnode UEM portal > Navigate to the Policies tab > Click on New Policy to create a new one or click on any policy to edit an existing one > Enter the Policy Name and Description in the provided fields.
- Go to Windows > From App Management, choose Required Apps > Click on Configure.
- Click on the +Add button > choose either the Add App or Add Group option.
- On choosing Add App, search and select the required apps from Local Apps. Select Public Store to install apps directly from the public app store. Search and select the required apps.
On selecting Add Group,
search and select the required app groups.
- For MSI apps, you can also configure various Installation Settings. Specify the necessary settings and click Save.
- Click Done.
- Next, associate the policy with target devices by navigating to the Policy Targets tab.
- Select the required Devices/Device Groups/Users/User Groups/Domains to which the policy is to be associated.
- Click on Save.
Installation Criteria for App Types with Multiple Versions
Hexnode UEM allows adding multiple versions of an app, whether store or enterprise, to the app inventory. If multiple versions of an app are added to the Required Apps policy, only one version of the app will be pushed for installation on the devices. The priority of installation for different app versions depends on various cases that are explained below:
- If the enterprise app version is the same or higher than that of its store app version, the enterprise app version gets pushed to the devices.
- In case, if the store app version is higher than the enterprise app version, the store app version will be pushed to the devices.