An Enterprise app or in-house app is an application developed and used inside the same organization. Enterprise apps are not meant to be distributed to the public. So, they are not published in App Store or Play Store. Hexnode MDM allows the users to update the Enterprise app without exiting from the kiosk mode.
There are basically two methods to update the Enterprise apps in kiosk mode:
Method 1: Replace the old IPA file with the new one in the Hexnode app inventory.
Method 2: Push the new app version via Install Application action.
Replace the old IPA file with the new one in the Hexnode app inventory
If the Enterprise app to be updated was pushed to the device as mandatory app via policy, the app gets updated on the device provided the policy remains associated with the device.
Set up the device in kiosk mode with the Enterprise app and then update the app.
To update the Enterprise apps pushed to the device as mandatory,
- Login to your Hexnode MDM portal.
- Tap on the Apps tab and search for the Enterprise app you want to update.
- Click on the app.
- On the app details box, click on the Settings dropdown (gear icon).
- Select Edit from the dropdown list.
- Click on Change beside the IPA file.
- Upload the new app version.
- Click Save.
The app gets updated on the device without exiting from the kiosk mode.
Push the new app version via install application action
This method is applicable for devices that support silent app installation. To install apps silently on your iOS device, the devices must be supervised. Other devices may display a prompt to initiate app installation. To update apps via install application action:
- Select the device in kiosk mode from the Management page.
- Tap on Manage and select Install Application.
- Choose the new app version from the list of apps and click Done.