How to completely Wipe a Device?
If the corporate or the personal devices used for work got lost or stolen, you could not risk a corporate data leak. Locking the device is a solution, but what if they cracked the password? So, completely wiping the device might be the only option to protect such sensitive data.
You can either perform a corporate or a complete wipe. A corporate wipe is usually recommended if you are wiping a BYO Device. This ensures that the personal data in the device will be left untouched. Use a complete wipe to wipe a corporate-owned device.
To wipe a device completely,
- Login to your Hexnode portal.
- Navigate to the Manage tab.
- Click on the device you wish to wipe or select the devices.
- From the Actions drop-down, select Wipe Device.
- If you are remotely wiping a device running macOS 10.8 or above, enter your Find My Mac PIN.
- If required, enable Clear Factory Reset Protection/Activation Lock.
- In case the attempt to Erase All Content and Settings fails in macOS 12.0+ devices, the device falls back to a behavior termed Fallback behavior. Select your Mac’s fallback behavior from the below options:
- Complete Wipe: The device gets wiped completely and requires manual re-installation of OS before the device can be used again.
- Do not wipe: No attempt is made to wipe the device completely.
- Enable Retain eSIM Configuration to preserve the data plans of eSIMs on iOS 11+ devices.
- Click Wipe, in the confirmation dialog.
- Enter the password of your Hexnode UEM portal and click Confirm to initiate the device wipe.
To wipe a single device:
To wipe multiple devices:
Automatic device wipe using Hexnode UEM
A device can be set up to get completely wiped automatically if the user enters an incorrect password for a specific number of times. This feature is available only on iOS, Android and Windows devices. To set up,
- Go to Policies and create a new policy or continue with an existing one.
- Go to iOS > Passcode/ Android > Device Password/ Android > Work Profile Password/ Windows > Password.
- Set a value for Failed Attempts/Failed attempts before wipe.
To associate this policy with targets before saving,
- Go to the Policy Targets tab from the policy set-up screen.
- Add devices, users, device groups, user groups or domains.
- Now, save the policy.
To associate the policy after saving the policy,
- Go to Policies and select the required policy.
- Click on Manage > Associate Targets.
- Click on Device/User/Device Group/User Group/Domain.
- Select the required targets and click on Associate.