Enforce automatic updates for mac apps

expand collapsive

Device : Mac apple
Recently we noticed that some work apps were not supporting a shared file sent by the administrators. After inspection we noticed that the file format was not supported by the app. it works fine and supports the file after updating the app. If the apps are not updated to its latest version, it wont perform with all features.
Naturally we want the apps to be updated to the latest version at all times so we don’t run into hiccups like this. Is there a script to make the automatic updates box in appstore preferences enabled and greyed out so that users always get updates and can utilise the most recent apps?

All Replies

• Participant

Zayne

Participant

We have purchased around 9 apps from the vpp store and have installed them on 72 devices. So constantly looking for updates for each of them and updating them one by one using this method will be tiresome for us. Anyone have other ideas.

• Hey @zayne,
    Welcome to the Hexnode community.

We are sorry to let you know that there are no available script or configuration files to enable or grey out the Automatic Updates option under Preferences for App Store. If you want to automatically update VPP apps, you can use the following workaround.

Associate VPP apps to the target macOS devices through the Mandatory Apps policy to ensure automatic updates of these apps. Hexnode UEM scans and identifies all updates for the VPP apps on a daily basis. These updates will be installed silently on the devices, with no need for manual interaction.

Learn more about deploying VPP apps to macOS devices and the automatic update policy of VPP apps by following our help documentation.

Feel free to reach out to us with more queries.
    Cheers!
    Johan Blake
    Hexnode UEM

Solution
  • Participant

Rodney

Participant

No they don’t. I guess only apps that are mandatory on the device is updated. But you can install newer updates by just installing the newer version of the app again, that worked for me. Use the same install option to do this. Peace out

• Participant

Kaspar

Participant

Hey people, a quick one. I had deployed a vpp app to a select few of my devices(owned by quality check team). One of the guys raised a problem that he cant access any extra features that comes with payment. Thought it was the app problem and tried it with a different one, same result. Have anyone had this experience..

• Participant

Rodney

Participant

If I remember correctly, apple doesn’t support in app purchases for vpp apps. If you really want to access the paid feature, better install them using your own apple id, not as vpp apps. That should grant you the power to purchase features with the apple id. Peace out