HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

Arranging apps in kiosk home screenSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 years ago

Hey folks,

I’m trying to modify kiosks for android devices. I need to place all the inventory-based apps on a page and the apps for personnel management on another page.

The apps should be positioned well-organized. However, it is mandatory that any user does not change the ordering. Since the devices are already in kiosk, I’m not sure if they can be re-arranged now.

Is there any way I can get this done from Hexnode portal?

Thanks in advance!

Replies (8)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

Hello Natalie,

A pleasure to be of help!

It would be nice to have the apps arranged automatically on kiosk-enabled devices. Hexnode offers numerous settings to customize the kiosk experience for users.

In your case, I would recommend ‘Advanced View’ settings for the multi-app kiosk lockdown of Android devices. Typically, Advanced View is used to deliver a consistent experience for the users. It is a user-friendly approach to creating a multi-app kiosk mode that enables easy customization of how apps appear on the screen. You can designate positions for each app, confirm how the apps are placed for various screen orientations, specify the icon size, and much more.

Understanding that the devices are already in multi-app kiosk mode, you may review the existing policy with Advanced View.

1. Login to your Hexnode portal.
  2. Navigate to Policies.
  3. Search for the multi-app kiosk policy associated with the devices.
  4. Select the policy.
  5. Go to Kiosk Lockdown > Android Kiosk Lockdown > Multi App.
  6. Click on Switch to Advanced View.
  7. Drag and drop the apps to the desired position on the virtual home screen.

While customizing the home screen, you can add more apps to the kiosk one after the other. The Grid view arrangement outlines the positioning of apps across the device screen in various orientations and device models. Seeing that you need to arrange a specific set of apps together on a page, click on + icon to add more pages. Further, you may include the necessary applications in the consecutive pages.

Once the policy is re-associated with the device, the changes will be reflected across the devices automatically. The users will no longer be able to organize the apps as per their needs.

Catherine George
Hexnode UEM

Participant
3 years ago

Perfect! It Worked.

Participant
3 years ago

This is frustrating! I just checked this out. But for me it shows nothing but 2 or 3 apps filed up on the first page. Not all applications appear on the device.

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

No worries! We’re here to help..

Could you please tell me what kind of apps is added to the kiosk? Is it the store app or any in-house app?

Feel free to contact us always!

Participant
3 years ago

They’re all store apps.

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

Thanks for confirming about it!

When you add store apps in kiosk mode make sure the app is already installed on the device.

To help you with that, you’ll have to exit the kiosk mode of the device. You can quickly get it done by executing the remote action ‘Disable Kiosk Mode’.

1. Go to Manage.
  2. Choose the device(s).
  3. Navigate to Actions > Disable Kiosk Mode.

The device(s) exits from the kiosk. Meanwhile, install the store apps on the devices. Finally, you can re-push kiosk with the devices by executing the action ‘Enable Kiosk Mode’.

1. Go to Manage.
  2. Choose the device(s).
  3. Navigate to Actions > Enable Kiosk Mode.

Learn more about configuring the multi-app kiosk from multi-app kiosk mode in Android devices.

I hope it helps you!

Participant
3 years ago

Oh wow! Thank you.

Hexnode Expert
3 years ago

@Hibiki @Natalie Happy to help!