Lock an application to a specific version

expand collapsive

Hey everyone! I would like to know if it is possible to lock an application to a specific version on my Android device using Hexnode UEM. I wouldn’t want my application to get updated until we have verified that the new versions are stable enough to be installed. Can anyone help me with this query?

All Replies

• Participant

cora-bailey

Participant

I believe disabling play store will only block further updates of an application. I wanted to install a specific version of the application and maintain that version until I find a stable update for the same.

• Hey Cora,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

You can install a specific version of an application by installing the application as an enterprise app. Updates to an enterprise application do not take place automatically. You can manually update the application from the portal, and you can also choose the app update version using the Hexnode portal.

You can follow these instructions to distribute Enterprise apps to your Android device:

1. Add Enterprise app to the Hexnode app inventory.
    2. Upload Enterprise apps using an APK or a Manifest URL.
    3. Install the application via Policies or via “Install Application” action.

The application gets installed on the device and will not get updated automatically. You can only update it manually from the Hexnode portal.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

cora-bailey

Participant

Alright thanks! Also, can you tell if it is possible to update an Enterprise application without having to upload a new version of the same app in the app inventory again? Having multiple versions of the same application is making my inventory look quite unorganized.

• Hey Cora,

Thank you for reaching out to us again!

Hexnode lets you update your Enterprise applications in two ways:

• Replacing the old APK with the new version of the app inside the App inventory.
    • Uploading the new version of the same application in the App inventory.

You can follow these instructions to replace the old APK with the new version:

1. Click on the enterprise application to be updated.
    2. Click on Settings and select Edit from the drop-down list.
    3. Click on the Change option beside the uploaded APK file.
    4. Upload the new version and click on Save.

If the app has been installed as a mandatory application and the mandatory app policy is associated with the device, the updates will be sent to the device automatically. Otherwise, you can perform an Install Application action, pushing the updated version of the application to the device.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM