Can I use Google MDM and Hexnode UEM on same device?

expand collapsive

Hey folks, we’ve been using hexnode uem for managing all our android devices and its been going good so far. But recently we got acquired and the company that acquired us is managing their ios devices using google’s mdm. So, we are kinda at an impasse!

We are looking for an arrangement where we can manage the iOS devices using google’s mdm (Advanced mode) itself but can manage our android devices using both hexnode and google mdm. Is there any way this could work?

All Replies

• Participant

Emersyn

Participant

We use advanced google endpoint management on our byod iphones devices since we make good use of google suite so much. However, we are also looking to manage few of the company ipads using hexnode to get better restrictive and management functionalities. But I believe it might not be feasible to manage byod and company devices using both the mdms together?

Any bits of help are welcome!

• Participant

Ryker

Participant

Hey guys. So, what we currently do is create separate organizational units (OU) inside gsuite. This way certain OUs can be managed by Google’s advanced management and the others can be managed by Hexnode.

For example, @em can create an OU with users who have BYOD and manage them using GEM and create another OU with company-owned devices to manage using Hexnode UEM.

I know this is not a complete solution. But its at least something.

• Participant

Emersyn

Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. Here’s the thing though. We have a situation where the same user can have both company-owned and BYOD devices. So, creating separate OUs doesn’t really work for us. I guess ideally, we should be able to decide which Device receives basic or advanced management instead of going by user or OU.

• Participant

Verbnigge

Participant

So, here’s the deal. Google endpoint management has 3 mobile management levels: basic, advanced, or unmanaged. You can set these levels on users by adding them to organizational units (OU). Additionally, using the Custom option, you can set different management levels to specific groups of devices (Android or iOS) used by the users within an organizational unit.

@raelynn For your case, you could create separate OUs in the Google endpoint management and select Android or iOS using the Custom option. You can then continue managing your Apple devices using Google’s Advanced mobile management. Meanwhile, you can select Basic mobile management for Android devices and then continue managing them with Hexnode UEM.

@emersyn As @ryker mentioned, you can configure the Google endpoint management level based only on users and device type. Therefore, it will not be possible to set a management level for a specific device.

Solution