add mac to abm with help of ios

expand collapsive

Hey guys… We recently updated our devices to ios 15. And I believe that it has a new feature to add mac devices to abm with the configurator. The problem is that I’m not sure on how this whole process works… Does the configurator needs to be installed on the mac that is to be enrolled. Im in a bit of a pickle here. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

All Replies

• Participant

Timea

Participant

For starters, you can download apple configurator from the apple store on the ios device. The configurator app would help you in the enrollment of the mac. And for mac, I suppose you only need a fresh device to link your ABM account to it.

• Hey @luella,

Welcome to the Hexnode community.

With the introduction of iOS 15, Apple supports the enrollment of macOS devices into your Apple Business Manager account with the help of the Apple Configurator on your iOS device. As @timea correctly pointed out, the Apple Configurator can be downloaded on your iOS device from the App Store. Then, launch the application and sign in with your Managed Apple ID to assign macOS devices to your organization.

The device to be assigned should be running macOS 12 Monterey, have an Apple M1 Silicon or T2 Security chip, and need not have Apple Configurator installed. For a new macOS device, you can directly add it to your ABM account using the Apple Configurator at the initial device startup. If the Mac is in use, it has to be wiped.

To learn more about the full procedure to enroll macOS devices using Apple Configurator, you can follow our documentation on how to add macOS devices using Apple Configurator with iOS devices.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reach out to us if you have more queries.

Cheers!
    Johan Blake
    Hexnode UEM