iPad file sharing restricted

expand collapsive

Our school coach uses a sports app for recording and analysing games on his ipad, apparently something went down and the app failed to store few games. Their customer support suggested that we connect the ipad to a mac to restore the video files. The problem is when connecting to a mac, a popup saying that the device has a policy preventing device pairing is shown. We cannot seem to find any policy that restricts this though. We have enrolled the ipad through ABM. The coach has been nagging us for weeks now so it would be really helpful if you can provide any valuable inputs!

All Replies

• Hey there, @dylan21. I understand the challenge you are having right now but let me assist you with your concern.

With regards to the reported issue, you must have enabled the device pairing restriction (Allow iTunes Pairing) while configuring the DEP Configuration Profile during the enrollment process, which is why the restriction popup was displayed on the device. To disable this restriction, the device will have to be wiped and re-enrolled again, only this time unchecking the Allow iTunes Pairing option when configuring the DEP Configuration Profile. As for your current situation, a workaround would be to perform an iCloud backup on the device and then restore the backup on another iPad that doesn’t have the device pairing restriction enabled. Make sure that the Backup option under Restrictions > Allow iCloud Settings is checked to enable iCloud backup on the device.

Please note that the device pairing restriction in the DEP Configuration Profile has been deprecated and is no longer supported from iOS 13 and iPadOS 13.1. Instead, you can configure the Prevent pairing with non-Configurator hosts option under Advanced Restrictions > Allow Security and Privacy Settings to enable/disable device pairing with a computer other than the supervising host with Apple Configurator 2 installed.

Hope this helps. Do reach out if you’ve further queries.

Cheers!
    Chris Wheeler
    Hexnode UEM

Solution
  • Useful thread this one. I’ve 2 questions though,

1. Can the ipad only be connected to a Mac? I use a Windows desktop.
    2. Which is the supervising host that the device can connect to if ‘Prevent pairing with non-Configurator hosts’ option is checked?
  • Thanks for reaching out to us, @koen.

You can directly connect your iPad to either a Mac or a Windows PC as long as the Prevent pairing with non-Configurator hosts setting under Advanced Restrictions > Allow Security and Privacy Settings remains unchecked in the policies associated with the device.

Regarding your second query, the ‘supervision host’ refers to the Mac with Apple Configurator 2, using which the devices were first supervised.

Cheers!
    Chris Wheeler
    Hexnode UEM

• Yes, but not all Macs, though. You’ll only be able to connect to the Mac with Apple Configurator 2 installed, which was used to supervise the device initially.

Do reach out if you’ve got more questions.

Have a great day!
    Chris Wheeler
    Hexnode UEM