Boot loop with 12.3 beta update on mac

expand collapsive

Attention, Mac sys admins testing the new beta!  There is a boot loop issue with FileVault-enabled devices with the new 12.3 beta release. Users reported this with the 11.6.4 beta, too, when installed on FileVault enabled volumes.

All Replies

• Participant

Damion

Participant

I have had this issue; I tested the beta for certain features, but it crashed at the loading bar when I tried to log back in. I tried Recovery mode and internet recovery. No luck! I tried to reset it back to Catalina, but no luck again!

• Participant

Tad

Participant

If Catalina users install the 12.3 beta Monterey or 11.6.4 beta of Big Sur on a separate FileVault enabled volume, it would cause a boot loop when attempting to log back into the previous volume running Catalina. So, you are stuck with the beta 12.3 version alone.

• Participant

Tad

Participant

It seems like the issue is specific to users running macOS Catalina and having separate APFS volumes to have multiple versions of macOS on their devices. Users are directed to disable FileVault before installing the beta. Otherwise, you will be unable to get back into the original volume. In effect, you are locked out.