Feature Request: Policy import/export

expand collapsive

Because we have 2 different subscriptions (one for production and one for dev/test), we’d like to have the ability to import and export policies between the two subscriptions. I’ve been unable to find any information on this, so please forgive me if this is already possible or if this feature request is already pending.

Yes, we have a good reason for having two different subscriptions, so please do not reply with alternative suggestions. We’ve been over that with support extensively already.

Thank you!

All Replies

• Hi,   the above feature request (which is a great idea) was raised over a year ago (March 31, 2020 at 10:53 am) and your a year ago was that a feature request was raised and you were starting work on it.   I have not seen this feature in any release notes and can’t find it in menus etc so is it ‘still’ being worked on?      This type of feature is really useful as many of your customers have more than one account (partly as originally there were no roles we could share with clients).  So we currently have 4 accounts and I am setting up anew one every month, and they all have EXACTLY the same policy so its so frustrating having to recreate them all from scratch.      Is there anything you can do in the back end to copy a policy over from one account to another?   Thanks…

• Hexnode

thomas-specter

Hi Ian,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

When portals are created in Hexnode MDM, the data getting generated for them are getting instantly encrypted in the industry standards. Severe complications arise in attempts to migrate, which shall also include privacy concerns as different portals are present in their individual space in an encrypted format.

Moreover, a policy template includes various data from other parts of the portal like the configured set of applications in your repository, the certificates, the users synced etc. So, we might have to take a much bigger set of a backup whilst ensuring there is no data getting lost or getting blended amongst others.

This feature shall be taken up for development soon based on demand, as it has been on our roadmap.

Cheers!

Thomas Specter
    Hexnode MDM

• Participant

Ian

Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, back in April. It is now February 2022 (the following year), has there been any update or progress on this?   Also to be clear your response cited a variety of data privacy issues however these should be the responsibility of the customer managing the portal.  Most policy owners I would suggest don’t have much in the way of personal data included, and therefore are fairly straight forward policies (just like your templates), therefore there should not be too much of an issue in simply allowing a policy to be exported from one portal to another.   We have multiple portals and every time we set a new one up we have to recreate a completely new policy from scratch and remember all the individual settings needed as they are all identical.  So this is quite a bind and if you have the ability to copy / duplicate a policy then there should be no reason that it cannot be easily extended to export or import).

Many thanks,

Ian

• Hey Ian,

Thank you for reaching out to us again!

As we have already mentioned, there are some privacy concerns when exporting the data from one portal to another since they are encrypted in an individual space for each portal. We did get in touch with the development team and has upvoted your request. We deeply regret the inconvenience caused by having to create new policies for different portals.

However, I suggest you create custom configuration files using Apple Configurator 2 and use them as an alternative while we work on exporting and importing policies. You can create and deploy custom configuration files for macOS, iOS and tvOS devices.

Hope this clears your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

David

Participant

Hi there,

I am currently looking into getting a second account setup for Dev-Test and this would be a key feature that would be required. Is there any movement on this as it could be a show stopper when it comes to having to separate accounts.

Thanks In Advance

David

• Hi David,
    Thank you for raising the feature with us.

I can definitely understand how this feature could be beneficial and how frustrating the current situation might be for you. Despite the fact that this feature is on our roadmap, we are unable to finish it right away due to time constraints. I apologize for the inconvenience, but please let me know if there’s anything else that I can help with.

Regards,
    Johan Blake
    Hexnode UEM