Android files not accessible

expand collapsive

Hi guys,
We recently encountered a problem with our android 11 devices. The data file inside the Internal>android path is greyed out and we cant access them through the file manager tab. But I tried the same thing on an android 8 device and I was able to access the data files. Is this a common issue, coz a remedy would be dearly appreciated.

All Replies

• Participant

Kayleigh

Participant

Same here man… was trying to fetch the log files from the storage but it was blocked. I’m sure the storage permission was granted to the agent or am I missing any permission to make this work.

• Hey @ecrin and @kayleigh,
    Thanks for reaching out to us.

From Android 11, Google has introduced a storage restriction that does not allow third-party applications to access scoped storage of other applications. Thus, the Hexnode agent does not have the permission to access the scoped storage of the device (/Internal/android/data/) or private directories of other applications, resulting in inaccessibility of the scoped storage files when using the File Explorer. All applications are affected by this storage restriction.

Hope that helps with your query.
    Cheers!
    Johan Blake
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Inez

Participant

As johan said apps for android 11 will not have access to private directories of other apps, they are totally restricted. But for apps that have opted out of scoped storage and target api is 29 or lower, they can access their own private directory and shared storage restrictions.

• Participant

Emersyn

Participant

Yes true that… Google is definitely building a wall around the private storage areas. What little storage apps had access to in android 10 is locked up in 11. From what I learned the apps need special permission from google. Makes the whole process difficult.

• Participant

lennon

Participant

As @kayleigh mentioned, the log files are out of my reach. But I want to get my hands on the log files for troubleshooting the device if any error occurs. Developers request these files to pinpoint the error. How do I get these from the devices

• Participant

Inez

Participant

That would require you to connect your phone to a computer via a usb cable. From your phone allow the computer to access these files. Now you can see all the files on your computer. Copy these and send it to your developers for troubleshooting.