managing vpp apps

expand collapsive

Hi there I am having trouble with vpp apps I had bought for my employees for their iphones and macs. When these people leave the company I gotta go through the whole process of buying new redemption codes for the new employees all over again coz apparently these codes are useless now… Pls can anyone tell me if there is any way to avoid this?

All Replies

• Participant

KeiR

Participant

Hello @u I know exactly what you mean! I went through the same issue before. This is because redemption codes cannot be reused. I think even apple is now recommending switching from this old method to a new one using vpp licenses so that companies can reuse licenses depending on their needs.
    Check out Apple’s doc of migration from redemption codes to managed distribution. That should give you a better clarity on this!

• Hello @udol, Thank you for reaching out to us.

As @keir has rightly pointed out, the solution to your trouble is to migrate to the managed distribution of VPP apps.

To put it simply, organizations can choose between 2 different VPP app deployment methods:

• Managed distribution
    • Redemption codes

With managed distribution, you can assign apps to devices or users. Assigned app licenses can be revoked and reassigned to another device or user within the organization if the current user leaves the organization or a device no longer needs the app. This enables the organization to have complete control and ownership over the purchased VPP apps. Furthermore, if your device is supervised, you can silently install apps without any end-user input.

• Device Assignment

For iOS 9.0+, macOS 10.11+ or tvOS 12.0+ devices, you can assign apps directly to the devices based on their serial numbers using an MDM solution such as Hexnode or Apple Configurator 2. After an app is assigned to a device, it can be pushed to that device using Hexnode UEM or can be added by Apple Configurator 2 with no requirement for an invitation to the user.

This method comes in handy if your organization needs to retain absolute control over managed devices or if it’s not practical for every user to obtain an Apple ID. In essence, anyone using that device have access to the app. To assign apps to devices, you’ll need one managed distribution license per device.

• User Assignment

For iOS 7.0+ or macOS 10.9+ devices, you can assign licenses to a specific user based on their Apple IDs. Using Hexnode UEM, you can send VPP invitations to users. If the user is signed in on their devices with their Apple ID, they can access the URL in the mail and accept the invitation. Once users agree to the invitation and accept the iTunes Store terms and conditions, the enterprise can push the purchased apps to these users through Hexnode UEM.

This is especially useful in cases like 1:1 deployment for schools or universities, where students have their own iPads or macOS and unique Apple IDs to sign in with. You’ll need one managed distribution license per user to assign apps to users.

Alternatively, you can assign the apps to individual users by distributing redemption codes via email or Apple Configurator 2. In this method, if a user downloads an application using a code, the same code cannot be reused to download the app. Even if the user uninstalls the application, reuse of the redeemed codes is still not permitted.

Please keep in mind that distribution of redemption codes via MDM is deprecated by Apple and is not recommended over managed distribution that helps retain much more control over your VPP app deployment.

To learn more, please check out deploying VPP apps through Hexnode UEM.

Hope this answer helps you. Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach us!

Cheers!
    Emma Jones
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Diane

Participant

Hey guys so I had purchased few vpp apps from our vpp account in france and assigned it to few of our devices.. But now are planning on expanding to germany as well…i’m kinda worried if I’ll be able to use these app licenses and assign apps to devices there due to change in location… Can someone clarify this?

• Hello @diane-joyce, You’ve got nothing to worry about!

VPP account admins can assign apps to devices in any country or region as long as the app is sold through the App Store. An app purchased from a VPP account in France can be assigned to devices or users in Germany as long as the app is available through the App Store in Germany.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Have a great day!
    Emma Jones
    Hexnode UEM