HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

Manage already activated filevaultSolved

Participant
Discussion
2 years ago

Hi IT crowd! We activated filevault on a few of our macbooks and wanted to control filevault settings from the portal. I am new to this, please help!

Replies (4)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
2 years ago

heyy @abbi, did you enable filevault from the portal? filevault configuration options are available in macOS policies.

Participant
2 years ago

Actually @Abel, we had activated filevault manually on all devices before enrolling into hexnode. I generated the institutional recovery keys too.

Participant
2 years ago

I am unsure how managing it would work from the portal when activated by the user. I prefer enabling it from the portal as I have more control and can escrow recovery keys. Saves us from the hassle of employees losing them. We can also make it so that they can’t disable filevault from the user end. Pretty handy!

Hexnode Expert
2 years ago

Hi @abbi,

Thank you for using Hexnode Connect!

If FileVault is already enabled on your device, associating a FileVault policy from the portal will not take effect on your device. We recommend decrypting your device first and later assigning a policy that initiates encryption. Here is a complete guide on how to manage FileVault. Follow the steps under decrypting the device using the Institutional Recovery key to safely decrypt your device. Feel free to reach out to us for further assistance.

Regards,
Ethan Miller
Hexnode UEM