Install msi app with parameters

expand collapsive

Hey folks, we’ve got msi package which need few parameters to be passed during installation. So, I use command line to pass parameters like below:

msiexec.exe /I “Myapp.msi” /QN /L*V “C:\Myapp.log”

But here’s the thing, installing from CLI is complicated and ineffective, so we are looking for ways to customize app installation more efficiently. Is there a way we can perform this operation seamlessly using Hexnode without having many hiccups and less user interaction since most of our users work remotely?

All Replies

• Participant

Ryker

Participant

We have few msi packages that requires a device reboot after the installation. However, at times we’d prefer prompting the user a restart. Also, any commands to create a log file with log information would also be helpful. Like @roosevel we are looking for ways to configure our app installation process with different device restart options. Any bits of ideas are welcomed!

• Hello everyone, we’ve got you covered!

@roosevelt  Hexnode enables you to configure various installation settings for MSI apps such as Enable logging, Force device restart after app installation and Add command line parameters. By specifying additional parameters, you can modify the installation process and other related operations of MSI apps on the Windows devices. As a default, Hexnode adds ‘/i’ and ‘/quiet’ commands to perform normal app installation without user interaction.

@ryk  To customize your restart options, you can use either of the below parameters:

• /promptrestart – Prompts the user on whether a reboot is necessary.
    • /forcerestart – Once the installation is completed, device is restarted forcefully.

To generate logs for MSI apps during app deployment, select Enable logging and provide the Log path to save the generated logs in an existing folder on your device. Alternatively, you can Add command line parameters to generate the logs in an existing folder on your device. The following parameters can be used in the format,

[/L{i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x+|!|*}] “path_to_log”

For example:

/L*V “C:\log\example.log”

Check out deploying MSI apps with parameters for a comprehensive list of command-line arguments that can be specified while distributing MSI apps to Windows devices.

Hope this solves your query. Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Cheers!
    Emma Jones
    Hexnode UEM

Solution