dmg or pkg?

expand collapsive

Hello,
We have to install some enterprise app on our employees’ Macs. which format should we use for pushing the apps from hexnode, dmg or pkg? What is the difference between them?

All Replies

• Hi @karin-la,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

With Hexnode, you can push both the DMG and PKG file formats to install enterprise apps on your macOS devices. The apps will be automatically installed on the device when pushed from the Hexnode portal.

Here is the general difference between DMG and PKG files.

A DMG file is an Apple Disk Image file used to deploy macOS software. However, it can contain files of various types, not just the software installation files.

PKG is a compressed installation package used to install an app on a user’s hard drive. PKG files can be used when the app requires special permissions or any pre-requisites to install the app because you can manually include pre-install and post-install scripts in PKG files to perform such tasks.

Hence, you can opt for PKG or DMG files according to your requirements.

Check out our help doc on distributing macOS enterprise apps to know more.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Evin Lee
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Josfinnn

Participant

I have an enterprise app packed inside a dmg file. The app requires some files to be cleared from the devices before installing. Do I need to convert the dmg to a pkg file so that I can add script to it?