Device stopped syncing when OS is cloned

expand collapsive

I was trying to clone the OS of one of my Windows devices (already enrolled) and install them in my other Windows devices. After the OS got installed in the devices, they did not get enrolled into the Hexnode portal (not visible inside the Manage tab). But when I checked the device, the Hexnode folder was created in the device. Did the devices actually get enrolled or is this some issue?

All Replies

• Hey Nicole,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

When you clone a device, all the data that was present in a device will get copied to the target device. This is the reason why you see the Hexnode folder in the new devices as well. The devices did not get enrolled in Hexnode yet. You will have to manually enroll all the devices individually into the Hexnode portal.

However, it will be ideal if you clone the OS before enrolling your devices. If you clone the OS of an already enrolled device, there are chances that the device can stop responding to the Hexnode server, and the Hexnode directory folders can get duplicated in the cloned devices as well.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers!
    Chris Coleman
    Hexnode UEM

• Hey @bulksms, thanks for reaching out to us.

Cloning an MDM enrolled macOS device to another device will create an exact copy of the original device, including all data, settings, MDM profiles, and certificates. However, the cloned device will have a different UDID, which is a unique identifier used by the MDM server to recognize and manage the device. As a result, the cloned device will have to be manually enrolled again with the MDM server to avoid any issues with policies and configurations.

Do reach out if you’ve any further queries.

Cheers!
    Chris Wheeler
    Hexnode UEM