Any remote option to suspend an ongoing OS update with scripts

expand collapsive

Hello all,

Is there a way to stop an OS update for a bunch of macOS devices remotely all at once using any scripts?

All Replies

• Participant

Laodice

Participant

Hello @Luuk, Thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated.

I was looking for a remote way to stop an “ongoing” OS update. Seems like I didn’t make it clear in my last question, my bad!
    However, the scripts in that webpage can only stop the automatic downloading of any new update or check for any new updates. It would be more helpful if I could find a way to stop an ongoing OS update remotely.

• Hello @Laodice

Thank you for sharing your concerns. The scripts in the webpage cannot suspend the currently ongoing OS updates. They are used to turn off the options “Download new updates when available” and “Check for updates” in System Preferences/Settings.

If an update is only downloading, I can suggest a workaround for remotely suspending the OS update across a fleet of macOS devices. As you’re preparing to update the OS on your devices and assuming there are no ongoing tasks, you can use Hexnode’s Restart Device remote action. Restarting the device will terminate all currently active processes and hence cancel the ongoing process of downloading updates.

(If the OS update has already begun installation, the cancellation process is never easy. Restarting a device in the middle of an OS installation can result in the device becoming bricked(unusable) which is not recommended. Else, you may need to enter recovery mode and reinstall the OS from a Time Machine backup. This procedure necessitates wiping the drive. So, having all necessary data backed up beforehand is important.)

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further queries or need additional clarification.

Regards,
    George
    Hexnode UEM