Device inactivity – impact of marking inactive and recovery

expand collapsive

Hi, with Android devices I understand why a device is marked as inactive, and the benefits of doing this (being able to report on them etc).   However, is there any other impact to marking a device as inactive?

If I generate a report on inactive devices and email this to someone that can bring the device back online, do devices automatically move themselves to ACTIVE when the device comes back online, or is a manual scan on that device required to bring it back?

Apologies if this is in a guide somewhere – I really did spend about 30 mins searching first.  Thanks.

All Replies

• Hexnode

eva-tyler

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Marking a device as inactive enable the Admin to fetch those devices that are not communicating with the Hexnode portal. The devices can be marked as non-compliant if it does not communicate with the Hexnode server for the specified seconds of inactivity and the option ‘Devices becomes inactive’ is selected within Admin > General Settings > Compliance Settings.

To set the inactivity time period, please do navigate to Admin > General Settings > Inactivity Settings.
    You would be able to generate the list of all inactive devices from the Reports tab > Device Reports > Inactive devices.

Once the devices are connected to an internet connection, provided they still have the Hexnode profile installed on the devices, the device would begin communicating with the server and hence would be marked as Active.

This process would be spontaneous, however in case the status does not update, you can try pushing a scan device action from Actions > Scan Device.

Cheers!
    Eva Tyler
    Hexnode MDM