Restore Apple devices enrolled in Hexnode

expand collapsive

I did itunes restore on my phone. It was supervised. Now in settings, it doesn’t say supervised. Also, in hexnode, it says not supervised. I need to make it supervised again.

All Replies

• Hey guys.

It seems like a great brainstorming session is going on here. I would love to weigh in.

@pres, could you please tell me if your organization has an Apple Business/School Manager account? Is there a provision to enroll your devices in Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP)?

@adalb, the supervised devices, if not enrolled via Apple DEP, will lose their supervision on device reset.

@pres, @wrenl, restoring a local backup from a supervised device using iTunes or Apple Configurator might not always restore the supervision status in the phone.

When you restore from a backup onto the same device, your supervision state is restored from your backup. If you restore from a backup onto a different device, your supervision state may change. The device may become unsupervised.

Shawn Payne.
    Hexnode UEM

• Participant

Preston

Participant

Great! As there is no DEP in the picture, I can recommend another way of achieving this.

You will need another temporary iOS device with the exact same iOS version, preferably of the same model to proceed.

1. First, restore your backup to the temporary iOS device.
    2. Now, finish the setup procedures on the temporary device after restoring the backup.
    3. Now, connect the temporary device to iTunes or Apple configurator 2 and make a backup of the temporary device.
    4. Using Apple Configurator 2 or iTunes, restore the backup of the temporary device on the original device.
    5. The original device will boot up after restoring and show the “Hello” screen.
    6. Do not make any changes to the device now.
    7. Connect it to Apple Configurator 2 and supervise the device.
    8. After supervision, the device will show the “Hello” screen again.
    9. Complete the setup.
    10. Your device must now be supervised with the original backup.

I hope this method works. Keep us posted.

Shawn Payne.
    Hexnode UEM